Fording Valve "Normal" position

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

topellis
CPL
CPL

Fording Valve "Normal" position

Post by topellis »

I have searched the forum some and I haven't found exactly what I am looking for. Can someone tell me what position the fording valve at the intake/exhaust manifold should be in for normal operations? The lever on mine is running parallel to the line/valve body and this position allows air to freely flow in the line. Is this the correct position for other than fording operations? Pulling the fording valve for fording operations would move this valve to the closed position? I checked the PVC and it clicks back and forth when you tilt it. I saw somewhere that this was the check to make sure it was OK.

Thanks for any info.

Mark
Mark Ellis
1953 M37 WOW
1967 M101A1
NRA Life Member
USMC Retired
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Re: Fording Valve "Normal" position

Post by Elwood »

The PCV system should be open when not fording. In other words, the fording valves should be closed only immediately before fording, and re-opened immediately after fording.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
topellis
CPL
CPL

Post by topellis »

Thanks for the reply, that's what I needed to know!!

Mark
Mark Ellis
1953 M37 WOW
1967 M101A1
NRA Life Member
USMC Retired
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

You want to pressurize the engine while fording to prevent water entry. Run it that way for too long and you will puke your oil out the seals.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"