Chinese ''AVM''s

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

ausb1
PFC
PFC

Chinese ''AVM''s

Post by ausb1 »

Saw some Free Wheeling hubs on Ebay[chinese] for $105.00 US, they have the ''avm'' logo blotted out ,probably not the best if your doing hard off roading [break ?] anyone tried them ?
Cheers
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Re: Chinese ''AVM''s

Post by w30bob »

AUSB1,

I've seen them and been tempted...........but most of the time when I buy Chinese "stuff" it turns out to be crap...........and I keep asking myself why I fell for it (again). My latest case in point.....I've got an old cast iron water sprinkler. It was made in the 1930's here in the good ol' USA. It has no moving parts, it's just a domed chamber that water come in from the side and exits a hole in the top. Works great, but I wanted another one. Checked around and originals are no longer made, but Nelson makes a copy of it. It was $9 on Amazon so I ordered 2. When they arrived I hooked one up to the garden hose.........and it sucked! The water shot right out the top, almost like a fountain........the original had a nice wide, even spray pattern. Now I'm asking myself how the heck can you screw up a single cast iron part with no moving parts! Upon closer inspection the original has a round "tit" or pedestal inside under the exit hole and the distance between it and the exit hole determines the spray cone shape. On the copy they put the "tit" too far down in the hole! They didn't even copy it right. I flipped it over and in big letters it says "CHINA". I'm sure others have similar stories.......'nuff said.

So regarding the cheap hubs.............I just put the $100 in a jar and when I get another hundred I'll buy a quality set of hubs. I'm a slow learner, but I AM learning! It's very very rare when you get more than what you paid for. :mrgreen:

regards,
bob
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Those hubs are the Chinese equivalent of the old Superwinch hubs that are no longer made. I still run Superwinches on mine-fine for the deep snow; I haven't put them through any rough usage.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
52PLOWERWAGON
SFC
SFC

Post by 52PLOWERWAGON »

no those are

Cast and
Hardened