1952 M37 turn signals and back brake lights

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Del

1952 M37 turn signals and back brake lights

Post by Del »

I am almost finished restoring my 1952 M37 and installed the M37B1/M56B1 wiring harness from VPW. I need guidance on
what to do for the turn signals and back brake lights. My existing old lights do not have the metal tags to match up with my new wiring harness. I would like new LED lights but they are expensive around $329 a pair so roughly $700 then switching out to douglass connectors. Any thoughts on options, maybe I am over looking something

Thanks

Del

(Thread moved the appropriate section)T. Highway
just me
1SG
1SG

Re: 1952 M37 turn signals and back brake lights

Post by just me »

You need B1 lights in the back. Basically, two left rears and a separate BO brake light on a bracket on the curb side. Then just hook 'em up following the wiring diagram. The numbers on the left is a bit different than the right, but it is only three wires. Black out, service tail and brake on the main housings. The BO brake is pretty obvious. It is on a Packard connector.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
mike_l
SGT
SGT

Post by mike_l »

One inexpensive way is to take a trailer connecting cable and splice in a set of magnet-base trailer lights. When you drive the truck, you'll have signals and brake lights going down the road. When you show the truck, take the cable & lights off and the truck looks original. I have my T/S lever banded to the steering column and grounded to a light switch screw so I can take it off also leaving the cab original looking when at a show. I keep an ammo box in the truck to put the lights in when I don't want them on. The lever on the column I put in the glove box and tuck the harness under the dash. It takes about 3-4 minutes to hook everything back up when I leave-usually just after I start the truck to let it warm up for the ride home.

One of the benefits is to raise the lights up higher so they can be seen further. Mine sit at the corners of my tailgate, velcro strapped to the seat backs. I'll try to take a photo today or tomorrow with the tailgate on but the one here shows the lights.

http://g741.org/photogallery/main.php?g ... ewsIndex=1
Mike
Marion, IN
1954 M37 W/OW
1953 M101
Indiana MVPA
mike_l
SGT
SGT

Post by mike_l »

This setup lets me use full brake and turn signal lights when I'm on the road. In a few minutes, I can stow them and it will look like a stock 1954 M37. A few minutes to set back up and I'm on the road again.

OK, here is what the lights look like when mounted on the tailgate. There is a velcro strap wrapped around the base keeping it in place. The whole assembly comes off and stores in an ammo can when I take it to shows. I painted the lens behind the bulbs silver on the inside, black on the outside so they are 100% visible from the rear, even in daytime. I also replaced the bulbs with 24V versions and marked each light left or right.

This is the turn signal lever. I have shrink wrap around the hose clamp and a piece of scrap rubber between the box and steering column to prevent it marring the paint. To provide a ground, I have a grounding pig tale going from the box to the lower left light switch screw. The cable harness is routed from under the dash and can easily be tucked up behind when the lever isn't mounted.

Mike
Marion, IN
1954 M37 W/OW
1953 M101
Indiana MVPA