How to remove the rear differential

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

T.R.
PVT
PVT

How to remove the rear differential

Post by T.R. »

Can anyone tell me the safest way to the remove the rear differential while the axle is still in the truck. I want to remove the differential so that I can clean and inspect the differential. What kind of jack should be used? How would you attach the diff to the jack so that it will not fall off? I have never remove a diff before and do not want to get hurt or do any damage to the truck so I though I would ask first. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. I do have the manuals but they do not go into detail on how to remove the diff with the axle in place. Thanks for all the help!
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Re: How to remove the rear differential

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

After having dine it the hard way many times (brute force) I built my own adapter to use with my floor jack.

http://m37.wawii.com/2016.1.shtml
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

Will has the right set up here, since that third member is heavy and awkward, especially if you're working underneath the truck. The jig is even more helpful when re-installing the differential assembly.

Just to be clear, removing the third member is a relatively simple process, once the drive shaft and the axle shafts have been removed. Since the axle is full floating, you do not need to remove the wheels or the brake drums, or jack up the axle housing or the rear end of the truck to remove the shafts.

Remember to use the correct gasket between the axle housing and the third member when re-installing it.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
T.R.
PVT
PVT

Post by T.R. »

Will, thank you for the pictures of the jig you make for the floor jack I will try to make one, that looks like the safest way to remove and install the diff.
Thank you Elwood for the other information sounds like it should not be to hard of a job, we will see.
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

always use an NOS gasket when you re install. the aftermarket gaskets are not the correct thickness and if used may result in misaligned side gears . most suppliers have packages with NOS. DC truck parts is one.