Governor adjustment

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

point
PVT
PVT

Governor adjustment

Post by point »

Hi guys. I am still in the long haul of getting my m37 project on the road. I want to try adjusting my governor as this truck just will not go more than 35 mph. I have tried pretty much everything and a few mechanic friends are stumped. So, the subject at hand
I have the EME manual and according to it, setting the governor is simply a matter of removing the cap and adjusting the brass screw. The problem is, it is a delicate looking brass screw with a slot head. It will not turn with any modest torque. I am afraid the head might strip. There is a adjusting nut in there, does it also need to move. Nothing in the manual.
Thanks
Cal_Gary

Re: Governor adjustment

Post by Cal_Gary »

TM9-1826A covers the Carter carbs and includes the governor adjustment procedure. I don't have the TM; however, I do have the Ahl M37 Restoration guide that also has the process detailed by Alan Bowes, and he included his email address: a.bowes@m.cc.utah.edu

There is an internal nut with two slots on the head that handle the surge adjustment while the inner shaft adjusts the maximum speed-counterclockwise increases the maximum speed. Alan fabbed up a special tool to engage the nut and the center shaft at the same time in order to hold one while turning the other. Sorry I have no capability to scan the image for you. Recommend securing the aforementioned source materials if you can, or see if Alan's email address is still valid.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
jim lee
SSGT
SSGT

Post by jim lee »

If I recall, 52 M-42 has the special wrench for this and has done the adjustments. Try sending him a message and see what he can tell you?

-jim lee
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

This should help out:

http://www.g741.org/PHPBB/viewtopic.php ... nor#p54198

As far as a tool you can make one w/ a piece of tubing and a file. File a screwdriver "blade" into the tip of the tube and cut it to a length that allows you to insert a smaller screwdriver through its center. This will allow you to adjust the inner and outer screws.
point
PVT
PVT

Post by point »

But back to the question. Shouldn't the inner screw turn independently of the nut?
dozer_xj
PVT
PVT

Post by dozer_xj »

I have the Carb TM in a PDF. Email me andrewd@jedcosales.com and I will send it to you if you want.
ashyers
MSGT
MSGT

Post by ashyers »

Yes, it should.

You can actually remove the cover of the gov. on the engine and take a peak, but it may be wiser to pull the carb. It's possible that someone bottomed the screw in the outer nut with a bit of enthusiasm and it's stuck. If it were me I'd yank the carb and have a look. If you break the screw you'll need a gov. rebuild kit at minimum.

Andy
point
PVT
PVT

Post by point »

It looks like the gov was already adjusted to the max speed. I will pull it apart to see if something isn't quite right. I am at my whits end as this thing just wont go over 35. Giving it more throttle just bogs it.
And thanks guys for all the info
isaac_alaska
SFC
SFC

Post by isaac_alaska »

There's a chance your distributor isn't advancing like it should. That would cause similar symptoms.
Isaac
Fairbanks, AK
Civilian WM300 on DC3 tires
'52 M37 on 11x16 Michelin
'52 M37 on Apple R-1 tractor tires
Photo Gallery
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

Inside the governor:

Link to gallery: https://apollosaturn.smugmug.com/M37/ETW1
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

If you preset the inner and outer adjustments before putting the unit back on the carburetor, it will be easier to adjust once on the truck. I tried doing it myself but eventually had to have a buddy run the pedal while I watched my military tach and adjusted both. It was a process but I got the surge out and the governor engages at about 3100 rpm. Not that I go that fast....50 tops and normally only 40.
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box