replacement Distributor delema

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Wes
PVT
PVT

replacement Distributor delema

Post by Wes »

A few years ago I replaced my distributor (ignitor) with a complete unit I purchased online. Last fall, while working on my headlights I inadvertantly left the ignition switch on for several days an fried the new distributor. This year I found another distributor on Ebay but after removing the damaged unit, I found the new one was acually for a M715. Since I had the old one out I replaced the damaged parts as well as the cap, rotor points coil ect. (which I was planning on doing any way) and put it back in. Now I cant get the truck to start. I vagly remember somthing I was told when I was having the second distributor installed. It was that it was made in asia and that the firing order was different. Any one have experiance with these that can offer me some advice. I don't have any of the testing equipment and am just a shade tree mechanic.
Wes
peter e mark
SSGT
SSGT

Post by peter e mark »

Well from one shade tree to another then, here goes. As for the firing order: you can make observations with the distributor cap off. With the distribuor rotor shaft in view, Look at the rotor in relation to the spark plug wire it is about to touch. Trace that particular spark plug wire and find which plug it goes too. Next, pull on the fan belt and force the engine to rotate just enough to determine which spark plug terminal the rotor is going towards . Follow that spark plug wire and identify the cylinder. In your manual your have the firing order. And as you confirm the order in which your distributo rotor is contacting the spark plug/cylinders, you have the firing order of your distributor. compare what you find with what the book says. Then, assuming your firing order in correct, pull off the spark cable from your # 1 spark plug, and using an insulated tool to hold the cable, put the cable end close to the engine bl,ock somewhere, jump the starter with the ignition switch turned on, and see if you get any spark to the block. This is how I would begin. Good Luck ...
1952 M37 W/W
Veteran of 82 ABN. Division Motor Pool 1969
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4, if you look at the plug cable connections on the distributor top cover, #1 should be at the approximate 7 o'clock position. The distributor shaft turns clockwise, you can follow through the order to be sure plug cables are on the right plug.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

What Charles said is Gospel. I wonder about your having "destroyed" the distributor, though. You can definately ruin the points by leaving the ignition switch on that long. It doesn't do the coil any good, either. Both are easy to replace, but neither should require complete replacement of the distributor. Removing the points, condenser, cap and rotor, cleaning up the "innards" and installing new points, condenser, cap, and rotor should have gotten you back on the road if the coil was okay.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
knattrass
SFC
SFC

Post by knattrass »

For all the effort, we purchased an electronic ignition kit from Charles. First, we owe him about $1,789,435.95 in free advice. Second, his instructions and support are priceless - one of the easiest jobs we did so far. Third, make a nice clean redo of the distributor and we also eliminated the RF filter. Our fingers are crossed that our coil holds up but that's the only part we left in!
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

knattrass wrote:For all the effort, we purchased an electronic ignition kit from Charles. First, we owe him about $1,789,435.95 in free advice. Second, his instructions and support are priceless - one of the easiest jobs we did so far. Third, make a nice clean redo of the distributor and we also eliminated the RF filter. Our fingers are crossed that our coil holds up but that's the only part we left in!
More than likely your original coil is better than available replacements. Like any electrical component, it can give up the ghost at any time, but the track record on originals is better than replacements.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

I understand the swap, now. You won't regret converting to electronic ignition, either. No more hassle adjusting and/or replacing points and condensers! That would be enough to make me smile, anyway! :)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"