1952 M-37 paint color

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Karl Kostman
PVT
PVT

1952 M-37 paint color

Post by Karl Kostman »

Hello guys I have a question for you concerning a recently purchased 52 M-37, the truck looks great from the outside but it has obviously done some sitting in the not so distant past. As a normal inspection of a new vehicle I like to pull axles and hub to look at the wheel bearing and brakes, and everything I have found so far has been complete cleaning of axles, bearings backing plates and 50% of wheel cylinders were leaking. The truck had a brand new paint job on it very recently so it is my desire to match the paint that is on the truck. Its not a normal looking OD, it seems to have a tweak of brown in it, all of my trucks are from the 70s and 80s so they are all just normal OD GREEN or 3 color NATO Woodland! Does the paint on my M37 sound familiar to anybody? If so is it a standard military paint color? If so does anybody know a paint code, or the name of this color? I am rebuilding the troop seats and need to paint them hopefully to match the rest of the truck. HOPEFULLY!!!

Any thoughts would sure be appreciated.

Karl
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Re: 1952 M-37 paint color

Post by m-37Bruce »

Post a pic is the second best option. Arovore (sp) and Gillespie Coatings are most often used. for my 53 I used Gillespie the ##'s escape me now, but I have them written down in the shop and a spare gallon for touch ups. BTW, Both paints have there follower's and most consider theirs the better choice!
Attachments
My Dodge M 37 w Out Tank.jpg
My Dodge M 37 w Out Tank.jpg (40.24 KiB) Viewed 676 times
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

24087 has the brownish green tint that was the successor to the more OD 23030.
I have the Gillespie 24087 on mine (well, part of it-the bed, and front bumperettes)....

Here's an old post with pix:
http://www.g741.org/PHPBB/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6823

Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Karl Kostman
PVT
PVT

Post by Karl Kostman »

Thanks guys I have some work to do yet on the truck then I will get it out in the sun and take a picture of the paint and post that. It is definitely NOT the original color, when they painted it they painted over the edge in the bed and the in bed color is normal OD of that era and what is on the truck is a fair bit darker, granted there is some fading of the original color involved also!
Thanks and I will get some pics posted as soon as possible!
Karl