Couple of questions on rewiring

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

rcamacho
PVT
PVT

Re: Couple of questions on rewiring

Post by rcamacho »

Looks like I'm in for building a harness by hand. I've done so before on a '67 Plymouth GTX. The M37 is comparatively simple.
Ug, new harnesses are $1000 - Ridiculous.
'51 M37
W_A_Watson_II
SFC
SFC

Post by W_A_Watson_II »

RMS wrote:just a note on the signal stat:

the wire that lights up the lights on the stat will wear through and short to ground over time.
That's why I end up adding a dedicated ground wire to the Signal-Stat unit.
Thanks,
Will
1946 Dodge Power Wagon
1953 Dodge M37 - "Frankenstein"
My 1953 Dodge M37 WEB Site
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

good to hear Watson.

I was not so lucky... I found out one day when making a left turn at a busy intersection...smoke, sparks, cop. :shock: ..hand signal, more sparks, soft shoulder. pretty exciting :mrgreen:
.............................. use it ...............
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Yeah, when I priced new harnesses a couple of years back I thought the price was ridiculous too. But when you look at what all those connectors cost, the cost of labor to put it all together, the wiring itself, and a decent profit to stay in business.........it's about right. I don't like it any more than anyone else........but at least you HAVE the option of buying a nice new harness modified any way you want. For some vehicles you don't even have that option. I guess it's all relative, as they say.

regards,
bob
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Elwood »

w30bob wrote:Yeah, when I priced new harnesses a couple of years back I thought the price was ridiculous too. But when you look at what all those connectors cost, the cost of labor to put it all together, the wiring itself, and a decent profit to stay in business.........it's about right. I don't like it any more than anyone else........but at least you HAVE the option of buying a nice new harness modified any way you want. For some vehicles you don't even have that option. I guess it's all relative, as they say.

regards,
bob
I gotta' go with this, too. To build my own harness to the same specs as the one from Vintage Wiring - correct connectors, wire, etc. - and add the value of my time (not just to actually make the harness, but to research the specs and source all of the parts), the price is reasonable.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
Explorer0863
PFC
PFC

Post by Explorer0863 »

MarkPick wrote:Evening Gents,
As the weather finally turns here in Southwest Ohio, I find myself going stir crazy again. Shoulder still isn't at full strength, so I gotta find something else to do to feed the OD OCD. I am gathering info for a rewire of a 1963 M37b1. I want to keep it 24 v. I have done my research on purchasing an after market one, just cant part with $1,100 for a replacement. Plus I want to upgrade to modern electrical connectors. So to confirm what I "THINK" I know:

1 Replace wire gauge for wire gauge. It it is original 14 gauge wire replace it with 14 gauge etc?
2 Would it help to install a 24 volt fuse panel in the truck?
3 Fuel shut off switch? I have thought of using something like the modern vehicles have, it think it is called an Inertia Fuel Shut-Off Switch. I have an electric fuel pump installed and connected to the starter control

I have read quite a bit on this site. I have an electrician on staff that will be verifying my work prior to install and upon start up.
If there is anyone who has done this and could provide me some pointers it would be greatly appreciated.

MY plan is to pull the old harness off and use it as a template, using the metal circuit numbers on the new wires. Using modern electronic connectors.
Resurrecting this old thread because I need to make a decision on a wiring harness for my 63 M37B1. Did you end up making your own harness or did you buy it? What is the painless wiring kit mentioned in the conversation? I would like to explore that option.
Tony
USAF SP/SF Vet
1963 Dodge M37B1
1955 Dodge Power Wagon
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

I answered your PM, Tony (explorer0863).
Thanks,
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
MarkPick
CPL
CPL

Post by MarkPick »

Wow, Just noticed my post from 5 years ago is back up on the board. To answer the question, I have not made it to the electrical yet. I have been working on my truck for about 2 years now, completely disassembled. I am at a point where I have a rolling chassis, and I am working on the brake lines now. Electrical is quickly approaching and I still haven't decided which way I want to go. Leaning towards the painless option.
USAF Retired
Desert Storm
Iraqi Freedom
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Good for you Mark! I'm PMing back and forth with Tony on the wiring-looks like you'll both be working your harnesses around the same time-happy to help where I can! Also, I might have found a way to get my wiring pix posted-hope to do that this weekend!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
MarkPick
CPL
CPL

Post by MarkPick »

Yep , looking forward to making some progress on this. Had a whole lot of life get in the way of the rebuild. Unexpected job change, family medical issues, then the virus stuff. But I know the trick is to keep after it no matter how small the progress.
USAF Retired
Desert Storm
Iraqi Freedom