Original Fuel Filter - What is this thing made of ?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

Original Fuel Filter - What is this thing made of ?

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

Ok, I keep finding these old original fuel filters in my travels so I took a good look at one today. Does anyone know what these are made of? The one I had today was a take-out. I soaked it in fuel and then tried to get it to "shed" or degrade in any way and couldn't. I know JB sells stainless pleated filters to replace these old ones, but do the old ones actually degrade or break down in some way? I blew thru this one with compressed air and then poured fuel thru it and it seem to work as designed. So do they wear out and need to be replaced? Or just cleaned and re-used? If they somehow degrade I'm not seeing it. Any input would be appreciated.

thanks,
bob

ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Re: Original Fuel Filter - What is this thing made of ?

Post by ZGjethro »

is that an in-tank filter, or the one in the engine bay filter? The engine bay filter I removed was a stack of washers, so I am guessing that went in the tank. My 1952 truck had no in-tank filter
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi ZG,

Yes, it's the filter element for the "in-the-tank" filter. It was also used on M38 and M38A1 jeeps. The engine compartment fuel filter that hangs off the regulator bracket does indeed use the stacked plate element. There was a production change from the engine compartment filter to the "in-tank" filter in December of 52 with vehicle SN 80042293.

regards,
bob
milstencil
CPL
CPL

Post by milstencil »

See posts here: http://www.g741.org/PHPBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5027
Throw that piece of junk out and get the stainless one!
Rick
Resident of the Communist state of Massachusetts, home of failed
health care and failed gun control! See what the Democrats can do
when they control both houses.
http://www.militarystencils.com
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Even a trip to the radiator shop hasn't got all the threads from one of those filters out of my tank! I am running two inline to catch the stuff. If I don't, the carb plugs with those threads. Never again!
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"