Pertronix questions..

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

tinmedic
PFC
PFC

Re: Pertronix questions..

Post by tinmedic »

Thanks Charles. I'm going to replace my coil anyways so I will pick-up a spare.
isaac_alaska
SFC
SFC

Post by isaac_alaska »

Often the cheap replacement coils are just a touch shorter than original. Doesn't seem like a big deal... Except that the shorter coil won't rest hard on the bottom of the housing, which is where a good portion of the cooling comes from. It's worth the extra to buy an original or known good replacement.
Isaac
Fairbanks, AK
Civilian WM300 on DC3 tires
'52 M37 on 11x16 Michelin
'52 M37 on Apple R-1 tractor tires
Photo Gallery
tinmedic
PFC
PFC

Post by tinmedic »

I am going to grab a couple NOS.
tinmedic
PFC
PFC

Post by tinmedic »

MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

tinmedic wrote:Charles, look at this ad.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390665250154?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
No the one pictured is not an MV-161A, but is instead a 1569-N24. The 1569-N24 can be used, however it requires drilling in the original backing plate along with removal of some permanently mounted components on the plate in order to install it. It requires a good degree of expertise and know how as it must be installed exactly in the right location or issues with timing will result. When the MV-161A was introduced, that took all the installation issues out of it. We sold those years ago, prior to the MV-161A being offered, but with very specific installation instructions with illustrations. Also offered phone or email technical assistance.

By the way several other items pictured on this site are not correct either. One would think if a seller wants to offer a product, they could at least give correct photo ID info and description. These folks are all about a dollar, notice they offer no representation of the product and say if you have any issues, contact the manufacturer. We never offered these for sale until we installed and tested performance. It is the only way I could feel good about offering the product. No offense intended, but I can't help but ask; how come you didn't contact the seller when you saw they offered 2 products with the same part number? Obviously one had to be wrong. If you'll notice at the bottom of the seller's page, they have the same part number shown with a distributor, not even close to the correct one. This tells me they are all about a sale, but when it comes to offering any assistance or assuring a buyer gets the correct part, they don't have a clue, they even said "don't call us." Vendors like this get under my skin.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
tinmedic
PFC
PFC

Post by tinmedic »

Many thanks for the info. I will purchase the correct one now.
tinmedic
PFC
PFC

Post by tinmedic »

MSeriesRebuild wrote: No offense intended, but I can't help but ask; how come you didn't contact the seller when you saw they offered 2 products with the same part number? Obviously one had to be wrong. If you'll notice at the bottom of the seller's page, they have the same part number shown with a distributor, not even close to the correct one.
No offense taken. I actually never looked at the rest of the ad, I just bookmarked that listing when I saw that the part didn't match the other MV-161A listing I had seen. I didn't buy the wrong one, I was just surprised to see to different models with the same part number, one which turned out to be incorrect.