I need a machinist in the eastern region of the US

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Ray@uglytruckling
PVT
PVT

I need a machinist in the eastern region of the US

Post by Ray@uglytruckling »

Most of the disc brake sets I ship go to the east coast. This forces customers to ship their hubs all the way to the west coast to have them converted. This is very expensive and time consuming for them. If you know of anyone who has a small machine shop in the eastern part of the US this would probably be an easy source of income for them. Please email me if you know of anyone who might be interested. rsuiter@helitool.com
CGarbee
SGT
SGT

Post by CGarbee »

Email sent...
I have a buddy who is a machinist in Raleigh, NC who has been intested in doing this kind of work ever since he saw the brake setup on my M37...
'53 USMC M37 w/Cummins 4BT
'64 XM708,
'51 M38
'73 M817, '71 XM813, '70 M816, '84 M931
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell
http://www.eastcoastconvoy.com
http://www.gravesmountaintrailrides.com
Ray@uglytruckling
PVT
PVT

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll give him a call. ntxt

Thanks
mattveeder
CPL
CPL

Post by mattveeder »

when I was at aberdeen this year I was approached by a man who is making kits like yours already. He calls him self A&S military m37's his number is 276-930-2049. He is out of Virginia.
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Uh-oh! Do I smell a patent infringement here??
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Paul in Kempner, TX
PFC
PFC

Patent Infringement?

Post by Paul in Kempner, TX »

Is everyone here too new to recognize Tim Peterson's name?
Paul Cook at the Kempner Power Wagon Museum MVPA#27246

"You have to GO BUY the book before you can GO BY the book."
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

I've been around the forum (and the old Big Electric forum) for several years, now, but I must be "too new." Who is Tim Peterson?
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Ray@uglytruckling
PVT
PVT

"Is everyone here too new to recognize Tim Peterson's name?"

Paul, you are 100% correct! Tim was the original developer of the disc brake set for these trucks. When he stopped making them I redesigned the caliper bracket so that it was a bolt on and the end user did not have to scrounge chevy caliper brackets at the junkyard, cut their ears off and weld them to their knuckles.

You can only patent an original idea that no one else has previously done so no one can patent a caliper brake system since the original patent expired 30-40 years ago.

I have been manufacturing these brake sets for at least 15 years. Others have tried {including VPW} and couldn't compete.

I am trying to find a machinist on the east coast so that customers in that part of the country will not have the expense and down time caused by shipping their hubs to the other side of the country.
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

mattveeder wrote:He calls him self A&S military m37's
I "Googled" it and couldn't find anything.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
mattveeder
CPL
CPL

Post by mattveeder »

He gave me a pen with the info on it. He didnot list a website or email.
DAP
SSGT
SSGT

Both guys do great work

Post by DAP »

I have Tim's brakes on my current functional M37. His work was great! I got a set of Ray's for my next ruck and the work is great! In fact the workmanship as good as it was on Tim's was Excellant on Ray's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially the finish. Maybe it is because Ray has an aviation background and so do I. Ray's current problem will to be find someone on the East coast that does work to his fantastic quality. I am not sure that is possible and unfortunately I have no good suggestions. sigh ............................
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Thanks, Ray! Now I don't feel like such a "newbie." ;)

My truck will stay stock, including the engine, when I get it finished and will probably see the open road only rarely. Therefore I won't be needing one of your kits, but having done disc conversions on other cars/trucks when I was younger and more "adventurous," I will continue to recommend your product to anyone who is contemplating a repower. More "go" always requires more "whoa." I hope you find someone to do your east coast machining and that you keep turning out your excellent product. :)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Tom @ Snake River
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tom @ Snake River »

It was Tim Petersen that may have figured out that the Saginaw Dodge reverse rotation steering box was the one to use.
W at Snake River 4x4 were building hot rod steering columns at the time, so I added to the formula which after market steering column to use and a standardized set of u-joints.
May Tim's memory be not forgotten. :wink:
www.snakeriver4x4.com
M-37's - WC-51 - M-29C - WC-25 cc - CCKW
M-274 - M-101 - G-527 Water Buffalo
G-7117 Chevy
Juan
SGT
SGT

Post by Juan »

I've bought my Disc Brake setup from VPW in 96. They came with a Peterson's business card. The only problem I had was that the caliper brakets gave up on a hard braking situation and had to made a set myself although with thicker plate.
Still working today.
Juan Castro
Buenos Aires
Argentina