Generator died

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

topellis
CPL
CPL

Generator died

Post by topellis »

Well, I haven't been on the forum in some time but had a situation today that brought me back to where all the thinkers are. My M37 Generator went south. I did the by the book test using the mil test set and leads and have no voltage coming out of the generator at all. I want to convert to the 60amp M35 generator type set up. I did a search and read up on it some, it sounds pretty simple but I didn't fully understand what happened to the wires that currently come out of the voltage regulator and go under the dash. Does anyone know who would have the Alternator and conversion kit at the most reasonable price?
My 18yr old has been using it as a daily driver since I moved back to Georgia. School is out but I gotta get him a job for the summer and need it for him, so I need to get it fixed relatively soon.

Thanks for any info,
Mark Ellis
Mark Ellis
1953 M37 WOW
1967 M101A1
NRA Life Member
USMC Retired
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Usually, when a generator goes bad, it's because either the brushes have worn away or the commutator segments have become shorted due to buildup of carbon from the brushes. Any good electrical shop can overhaul it for you a lot cheaper than you can buy another generator for. That would be the easiest and fastest option, I think. Of course, if you really want to convert it, that is an option, but I can't offer any advice on how to do it.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Mark,

Yes there is a kit the Army made to convert from a generator/voltage regulator to an altinator. As to who has the kit....check with Saturn Surplus, TNJ Murray, and maybe Star Electric...is all I can think of. The kit should give you all the instructions to make the change over. The only thing is the engine compartment in a M35 is bigger than a M37 so you may have ot double up and zip tie some of the wires.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!