Lock out hub questions

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

carolinamv
SSGT
SSGT

Lock out hub questions

Post by carolinamv »

Is there any lock out hubs out there that don't stick out very far? Id like mine to be less noticeable , like they aren't there. Is there a smaller type to use? -Jay
-Jay

MVPA#31295
Military Vehicle Collectors of Colorado
http://www.mvcconline.org
3/3 CAV HWB
isaac_alaska
SFC
SFC

Re: Lock out hub questions

Post by isaac_alaska »

in order for a hub to be able to unlock it has to have an internal splined section that can engage enough splines to hold the axle, but also slide out far enough to disengage. maybe someone else can be more help than me!
Isaac
Fairbanks, AK
Civilian WM300 on DC3 tires
'52 M37 on 11x16 Michelin
'52 M37 on Apple R-1 tractor tires
Photo Gallery
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Selectros probably offer the shortest profile; I run Superwinch hubs on mine and they stick out quite a bit. I recall that Bryan Sage used to make guards for the Superwinch hubs-unsure if any are available anywhere.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
06boblee
SFC
SFC

Post by 06boblee »

I have a pair of Bryans hubguards on my Warns, won't let me upload a pic- says it is too big.
'54 M37 wew
MVPA #16921
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Jay,

I was thinking along the same lines as you........I wanted to find a pair of hubs that weren't noticeable...........but they don't exist. I've taken pics of the different hubs installed on M37s at meets I've gone to over the past few years to compare and none of them are "thin".......they all stick out about the same, give or take. I plan on getting a set of Selectros and milling off the logo and "heavy duty" lettering and painting them OD with the rim. I've seen the hub guards that Bryan made.......they just make the hubs that much more noticeable.........but are a good thing if you do a lot of rock crawling.

regards,
bob
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

there were those twin lever style hubs on Ebay for crazy money. they looked very short. for the cost I would rather have a spare set of selectors under the seat or a few pairs of superwinch

hub stories:
I had one wheel fall in a 3ft deep unmarked concrete lined junction box on a buddy's claim. landed hung up on the selectro hub.. worst thing that happened is it unlocked.
with the superwinch I clipped a rock in the snow doing 10mph and all I saw was a glint of aluminum streak past the windshield. good thing I had stock hubs under the seat. :mrgreen:
.............................. use it ...............
Black Ops
PFC
PFC

Post by Black Ops »

I have a set of Superwinch hubs with hub guards on my m37, they stick out 3 1/16" with the guards on. The hub guard adds about 1/8". I also have a set of the Dualmatic lever type hubs and they measure 2 5/16". I have a Selectro style hub around here somewhere but I think the lever type Dualmatics are probably the shortest.
Superwinch with hub guards.jpg
Superwinch with hub guards.jpg (71.87 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
Dualmatic.jpg
Dualmatic.jpg (86.82 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
1952 m37
1956 R2 Crash Truck
1953 m101
1958 xm389
pwrwagonfire
SSGT
SSGT

Post by pwrwagonfire »

I have a NOS set of Warn hubs installed, I would say if you get the reproductions of this hub, they may cover the bases as far as what you are looking for. Nice and tight profile.

-T
carolinamv
SSGT
SSGT

Post by carolinamv »

Those Dualmatics are pretty pricey , I found a set on ebay.
-Jay

MVPA#31295
3/3 CAV HWB
isaac_alaska
SFC
SFC

Post by isaac_alaska »

yeah the set i see is green, used, and they want $500 for them. they do look pretty bomb-proof though

i'm looking for a single locking hub for mine, mine has one stock locked hub and one selectable
Isaac
Fairbanks, AK
Photo Gallery
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

what type of hub ? I have a 1 and a half supperwinches with the blue paint $50cdn (37.53usd)+ shipping they were on the truck for about six months.
carolinamv wrote:Those Dualmatics are pretty pricey , I found a set on ebay.
thats nothing :arrow: Image
http://www.dodgepowerwagon.com/classifi ... 3-hubs.php
.............................. use it ...............
carolinamv
SSGT
SSGT

Post by carolinamv »

Jesus, 1500 for locking hubs....

The set I found I thought was crazy.
-Jay

MVPA#31295
3/3 CAV HWB
isaac_alaska
SFC
SFC

Post by isaac_alaska »

RMS wrote:what type of hub ? I have a 1 and a half supperwinches with the blue paint $50cdn (37.53usd)+ shipping they were on the truck for about six months.
i'll take em! i'll send you a PM

looks like your PM is turned off, go ahead and send me one
Isaac
Fairbanks, AK
Photo Gallery
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Truth here is any of them stick out far enough to be vulnerable if you are concerned with damaging them. Buying lock-out hubs is really simple, there is low quality, (Superwinch no longer available as new), then there is moderate quality, (Selectro), then there is the top of the line, rebuildable WARN type reproduction hubs. The latter is now $1,500 plus in cost; they are excellent hubs, last ones you'll ever need. Manufactured in small custom runs, thus the high cost, that is not likely to do anything but get higher because of limited quantity runs and production cost on the rise. Depends on what the truck will be used for as to which one you should choose. If 4-wheeling is light, then the lesser quality may work ok for you. If you want the best of the best, Steve Fowler at power wagons west is where you get them. The terrain you operate in will determine whether you need shields, the older ones I've seen that someone mentioned are amateur workmanship at best. Good general idea, not a bad design idea either, although not pretty. The ball got dropped with machining and welding workmanship. No a piece you could use on a high end truck, and you really couldn't expect them to hold up very well if they came in contact with much of an obstacle. Certainly better than no protection at all, moderate to heavy brush could do them in.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
carolinamv
SSGT
SSGT

Post by carolinamv »

Id like a set of dualmatics , just to cut the profile down. Ill never use them , I only drive on road but don't want them to be very noticeable.
-Jay

MVPA#31295
3/3 CAV HWB