winch cable care

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Gerry
MSGT
MSGT

winch cable care

Post by Gerry »

getting ready to install my cable back onto winch.It needs to be cleaned. Should I wash with simple green and dry then lightly oil?
Thanks,
Gerry

53 M37
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Re: winch cable care

Post by w30bob »

Hi Gerry,

How dirty is your cable? I'm no expert on cable cleaning, but I wouldn't put water on it. I assume you're talking about diluting the Simple Green with water. If it's greasy dirty I'd hit it with carb or brake cleaner, let air dry, and then hit it with a spray lubricant like Fluid Film. Wipe off the excess and you're good to go. That stuff is amazing.

regards,
bob
Gerry
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Gerry »

Never heard of fluid film. Is it available at normal hardware stores?
Gerry

53 M37
Tuko
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tuko »

Napa in Naugatuck has it if that's the route you choose.
51 Dodge M37 W/W 4BT/NV4500

My G741 Registry Entry
Gerry
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Gerry »

Thanks Tuko
Gerry

53 M37
pwrwagonfire
SSGT
SSGT

Post by pwrwagonfire »

Should I be doing anything special to my winch cable?

-T
F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Post by F18hornetm »

Where I work we have over a 100 trucks with front winch's as well as leveling cables. We use lubriplate brand chain and cable spray. It will not wash away with water easily and soaks into the cable strands. I am sure there are other brands of cable spray, I know NAPA makes one. The Lubriplate brand is pricey but really good stuff.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Gerry,

I didn't mean to imply that Fluid Film was the only thing to use....F18 is right in that now-a-days they make a variety of spray on lubricants that solidify when exposed to the air and stay put real well. Most motorcycle chain lubes are now this type. You spray it on as a liquid and it sets up into a nice thick lube. If it sticks to a motorcycle chain spinning fast it will surely stick to your winch cable. The Fluid Film is more of a penetrating lubricant, and I always go over it with a rag to get off the excess, as it doesn't solidify. But I've put it on metal parts and left them outside for over a year and they never started to rust. Bottom line is you've got lots of choices! :D

regards,
bob
F18hornetm
SGT
SGT

Post by F18hornetm »

I agree Bob, I use chain and cable fluid on anything don't want to not rust. I even use it on drill press, mill and lathe parts to prevent surface rust due to humidty. It turns things sorta brown but no rust. Washes off with brake clean. But will not evaporate like WD40 etc.
I've not done it yet, but I have seen canvas covers for the winch drums. It would seem would work well, saturate cable with fluid then put cover on.
Gerry
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Gerry »

Thanks for the info.
Gerry

53 M37