A little progress on the 37..

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

refit1701
1SG
1SG

A little progress on the 37..

Post by refit1701 »

We got the driver's side rear wheel and hub off last night. This hub is much different from the pasenger side. Whereas the pass. side has bad bearings and seals mashed with hammers, the driver's side has clean, properly greased bearings with no damage. Even the seals were in good shape. The only issue was someone's use of a chisel and hammer to set the torque on the two retaining nuts. The brakes were in good shape too but I'm going to change the wheel cylinder and shoes anyway. I have a set of brake lines from MWM ready to go back in when I get the frame cleaned and painted.

Something I suspected when I took off the pass. side wheel is the lugs are wrong. I wasn't sure until my buddy came over and looked at them. The driver's side has left handed threads and so does the pass. side REAR!

I searched through the boxes of stuff that came with the truck and I have one set of correct lug nuts. I guess someone got a different hub for that side and never changed the lugs over.

I guess I will change the lugs over to right handed threads.

All in all, a good, greasy day! :)
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

kinda OT, but, the only thing I kept from the original driveline in mine was those goofy gigantic left hand thread lug nuts... I use them as desk toys/paper weights :lol:
refit1701
1SG
1SG

Post by refit1701 »

I was tempted to go with a modern drivetrain, and might get another truck for that. But this one is running already so I stuck with the original stuff.

It would be nice to drive at 70mph, at least before they lower it to 55 again.
-John
Member of Dixie Division MVC

1953 USAF M37 wow, restored
1962 M151 Ford Production, on the rotisserie now
1953 USMC M37 w/w -in storage
1942 M6 Bomb Service Truck (sold to UK collector)
1967 M116A1 Pioneer Trailer
1968 M101A1 Trailer
S-89 Comm box
m35gibson
PFC
PFC

Post by m35gibson »

hey,,
ive worked on several large trucks,, and they always seem to use the chisel on the retaining nut,,,,even my duece is like that, thats how i tighten
mine down :D
kevin
if it aint broke, fix it till it is.