Steering Wheel Restoration

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

lten1063
PVT
PVT

Steering Wheel Restoration

Post by lten1063 »

Steering wheel was all cracked up. But now its not all cracked up to be. I used Marine Putty, Sanded with sandpaper and finished off with very fine steel wool , Primer, painted Gloss Black & Coated it with clear Coat with 3 coats. I couldn't get it to come off with out destroying it further so I had to do it in place.

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showpho ... n&cat=3843

Later Joe
Hawk101
PVT
PVT

Re: Steering Wheel Restoration

Post by Hawk101 »

Your resto looks great...
My steering wheel has a few cracks also, I will be giving this a go.
Thanks for sharing 8)
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Joe,

Nice job! I'll be interested to see how the Marine Putty holds up. Seems all vehicles with manual steering develop cracks in their steering wheels if they're plastic over a steel core. I've heard the epoxy dentists use to make fillings is the best stuff to use, but I suspect the glued areas won't be the next to crack.....it'll be other areas with the old plastic. I've got a couple M37 wheels I picked up cheap, as they're all cracked, that I plan to repair as you did. So keep us up to speed as you use your truck.......I'm hoping your repairs hold up so I can do the same.

thanks,
bob
lten1063
PVT
PVT

Post by lten1063 »

Thanks guys! For as holding up it is doing great to date and its been about 3 months now. The reason I used Marine/Plumbing Putty is because it adheres to plastic, fiber glass & metals e.g. All purpose Epoxy Putty Stick. It is made by PM Me for the web site since cant advertise a product here.

Later Joe