Ladder Storage Location Q?

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

knattrass
SFC
SFC

Ladder Storage Location Q?

Post by knattrass »

We assume our truck was a radio command version since we have the antenna holes in all 4 corners of the p/box. We are not looking to restore it as a radio truck, but bought a ladder to facilitate VFW parades.

Was there a proper storage location for the ladder? We were thinking of using the frontier kit bolts on the tailgate to attach some brackets to hold the ladder to the inside of the tailgate to avoid drilling more holes.

Is there a place or was the ladder thrown loose in the back?
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

I'm Thinking

Post by m-37Bruce »

Hey knattrass,
I would imagine when the ladder was in use, it was mounted on the rim/edge of the tail-gate. When not in use, it most likely was stowed in the Radio Shelter......
Lifer, what do you think? :)
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Are we talking about the "metal box" shelter? If so, the ladder was usually stowed flat on the floor between equipment racks so that you could just open the door and pull it out. I can't say how it was stowed in an open or cargo version, though. Never saw one. Knowing how lazy most GIs are when it comes to stuff like that, I imagine it was probably just tossed in the bed then, too.
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
obxron
PVT
PVT

Post by obxron »

I took a couple of military straps and looped them through top of the pioneer rack and over the tailgate so the ladder is secured on the inside of the tailgate.The straps don't get in the way when you drop the tailgate and you can pull the straps off quickly. It rattles but you can cushion it if you want.
Ron
1954 M37
knattrass
SFC
SFC

Post by knattrass »

Yup - that's what I was thinking. Bend some straight brackets and bolt using the pioneer kit bolts thru to the inside. A few straps and rubber pads- strap it right to the inside of the tailgate. We spent about $1500 painting the box - I'd hate to chip it.
wvcharlie
CPL
CPL

ladder storage

Post by wvcharlie »

I was also thinking about getting a ladder mainly for parade use . I have not seen one of these. Does it hook over a closed tailgate or fasten to the edge of an open tailgate. I'm looking for something that will work with a closed tailgate. Where did you get yours?
Charlie
64 M38A1
65 M37
68 M725
101st ABN Veteran
knattrass
SFC
SFC

Post by knattrass »

I have no idea on how to reference a picture previously posted, but if you look under the swap meet titled "got ladder" you'll see my photos. I got mine from John at MWM. Its aluminum with 2 "C-shaped" brackets that fit over the edge of the tailgate when it is open. There are also 2 ropes that connect to the truck frame to hold it in place. Unless someone else knows how to bump the pic, go take a look and give John a call/email.[/img]
TOM R
SSGT
SSGT

Post by TOM R »

1945 t24/m29 weasel
1946 cj2a ww2 style
1954 m37
mvpa 31698
nra lifer
mattveeder
CPL
CPL

Post by mattveeder »

I have the ladder from MWM as well. I also have the communications shelter. I just open the door and lay it on the floor. I will admit with the tailgate up and 11R16 tires you really have to reach over the bottom half of the door to get it out. Or you can obviously open the gate and get it.
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

mattveeder wrote: Or you can obviously open the gate and get it.
Ummm...yeah, that would be my choice. You're not gonna be able to use it with the gate closed anyway, are ya? ;)
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
TOM R
SSGT
SSGT

Post by TOM R »

got that aluminum ladder at aberdeen think i payed 25 for it :D
1945 t24/m29 weasel
1946 cj2a ww2 style
1954 m37
mvpa 31698
nra lifer
peter e mark
SSGT
SSGT

Post by peter e mark »

Well I also bought my aluminum ladder from Big John. But i altered it by taking off the original "C" brackets as shown in the picture in this thread, and bent and drilled 2 pieces flat iron , attched them to the original holes for the "C" clamps, in such a way the when the tailgate is down, all the way, the new "clamps " fit over the edge if the tailgate so that the ladder cannot slide or slip when climbed on. I feel real happy about this as, like KNATTRASS, I invite veterans to ride on my rig. especially woman, Peter Mark ( if I ever learn to post pictures, I'll send one of this clamp arrangement.
1952 M37 W/W
Veteran of 82 ABN. Division Motor Pool 1969
jeeptech2000
PVT
PVT

Post by jeeptech2000 »

Pictures Please, we would like to see your mod to the ladder
Ron McCue
41 WC-9
42 WC-27
43 GPW
53 M37
53 M105a1
peter e mark
SSGT
SSGT

Post by peter e mark »

Yes, I will take them tonight, and post them on an e-mail address as an attachment , and post the e-mail address (I'm confused, but I'll do something) Peter
1952 M37 W/W
Veteran of 82 ABN. Division Motor Pool 1969
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Send Them 2 Me

Post by m-37Bruce »

peter e mark wrote:Yes, I will take them tonight, and post them on an e-mail address as an attachment , and post the e-mail address (I'm confused, but I'll do something) Peter
I'll post 'em on my webshots page....btw, it's free, you might even think about starting your own webshots page, click on my www button at the bottom of my posts, Carter has one, Bill W ...er M-Thrax has one as does Bill Lammer, Josh, just to name a few, I'm sure there are plenty more? Another option might be Robi's Gallery Page, listed under pics.
Send 'Em On,
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA