M37 signal lights

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

retiredguy
SGT
SGT

M37 signal lights

Post by retiredguy »

I have a question on signal lights. On my M37 it had a signal stat signal light switch which if I remember is an aftermarket add on. Question is. Did the M37 ever have factory installed signal lights? Were they all retro fitted with signals later in life? In the manual it shows and mentions a front lamp being a convoy/signal lamp. I could not find mention of a signal switch or how to diagnose and repair signal lights. I had a discussion with a Canadian vet and he tells me they all had signal lights. I never remember seeing factory signals on any early 50's pickups.
Don't procrasinate! Do it now!
Elwood
MSGT
MSGT

Re: M37 signal lights

Post by Elwood »

I believe the M37B1 models (1958 - 1968) had the SignalStat installed at the factory; the wiring diagram shows it. The earlier M37 models (1951 - 1954) did not have it installed at the factory.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, IT IS THEIR RIGHT, IT IS THEIR DUTY, TO THROW OFF SUCH GOVERNMENT...” -Declaration of Independence, 1776
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Jess »

My M37CDNs have or had signals. I think they were added later but can't tell you when. You might find some pictures of these in service that have the lollipop lights on the front fenders and extra lights mounted on the tailgate. One of mine was set up that way when I purchased it at a Crown Assets sale in 1977. I drove or was a passenger in deuces and they has signals, clearance lights and extra brake lights added at some time in their service life. Likely the need to been seen and safe on public roads was a factor. When I was somewhat younger, we had an early '50s Dodge pickup and it did not have signals. The US trucks may have used different add on lights or were built with them in later years.

Jess
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

I believe there was a MWO to modify the earlier trucks (maybe at overhaul) for all CONUS trucks and maybe NATO vehicles.

I don't think I have a copy, but you might look on this forum's home page. I know I've seen it somewhere fairly recently, but at my age "fairly recently" can be a rather elastic term. :wink:
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

you were right 52 M-52. There was a MWO on that. It was 9-2300-20 for standard signal light installation and 9-2300-263 for alternative signal installation. I cannot find a date these were brought out but this tells me the older M37 did not com with signals. I believe the M37B1 did. tbone 1004 put me on to this site http://www.imfmotorpool.com/M37_Manuals.html. I thank all of you that responded to my blog as to now I am more knowledgeable on that subject. Tim Powel also wrote that his truck came with no signals and he has a 52 also. Thanks again.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Retired,

I went to that site but didn't see either of the 2 pubs regarding turn signals. Can you tell me where exactly they are on that page?

thanks,
bob
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

It's on the site. Just click on complete set of manuals for M37.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Retired,

Great, thanks. Now is there anywhere on the Web where I can download a copy of them for free?

regards,
bob
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

No. I already checked but found nothing.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Retired,

I did find this copy of the manual, but when I copied and blew up a few pages it was a hard read.

http://willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules/gall ... me=album47

regards,
bob
carolinamv
SSGT
SSGT

Post by carolinamv »

http://imfmotorpool.com/M37_Manuals.html

maybe here?

I have a lot of M37 manuals and paper work coming In the mail. If I have the MWO copy I will scan and upload it.
-Jay

MVPA#31295
Military Vehicle Collectors of Colorado
http://www.mvcconline.org
3/3 CAV HWB
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

Thanks w30bob. I read most of the pages and It looks like this is dated August 1963. That is maybe when all the M's were retrofitted with signals.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Jay,

Yeah, that's where I was looking. I just don't see the two MWO's for signal lights as downloadable.
If you get a copy it would be great if you could scan it for us.

thanks,
bob
DAP
SSGT
SSGT

M37 signal light mount on EBay

Post by DAP »

I have one of the mounts currently on EBay at:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/311376106566?ss ... 1555.l2649
This is the rear RH extra light mount.
All in Air Force blue and black trim
1962 M37B1
rectangular window hardtop, converted to Hercules 4 cyl diesel-intercooled & turbo charged, 12V, disc brakes
1962 M116A1 Generator trailer
1962 M116A1 Pioneer tool trailer
1964 M101A1 3/4 ton trailer
carolinamv
SSGT
SSGT

Post by carolinamv »

Mine are wired into the tail light housing. When you hit the brake one bulb comes on , then the other bulb is the signal. I haven't seen a separate light like that before just for a turn signal. Learn something new everyday .
-Jay

MVPA#31295
Military Vehicle Collectors of Colorado
http://www.mvcconline.org
3/3 CAV HWB