WWI & WWII Patches

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

DCook
CPL
CPL

WWI & WWII Patches

Post by DCook »

I began my MV involvement after my Dad gave me a box and said my kids might like to sew these on their jackets. The box contained over 600 mint condition uniform patches. Many of them still have the original PX price tags on them. It is a complete set of virtually all the WWII patches, and several WWI. My Mother was a Wave & Father a Parachute rigger during WWII. Their hobby while they were Courting was collecting patches. This set includes all the Corp's, Army's, Divisions, Commands, etc. I wanted to make a wall hanging to display these for the 50th anniversary of WWII but wanted to display them correctly. I couldn't find anyone with an interest in helping me organize this display. My idea at the time was to pin them to a OD blanket, for hanging. But who goes where on the blanket?
I am asking that anyone who has an interest in providing input on these, to please contact me. Unfortunately too many people who would have enjoyed seeing their unit insignia displayed, are now gone.
Thanks for your thoughts & ideas!
DCook
MVPA Member #23780
1942 Chev. 1 1/2 Ton Dump Truck
1951 M37 W/W, & Field Radio
1953 M43
1958 Navy CJ3B
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Re: WWI & WWII Patches

Post by 52 M-42 »

You might try organizing them first by Theater (Pacific Theater, European Theater, North African Theater, etc.) and then breaking them down by Major Operation (Torch, etc.) or Commands (Army Groups, Armies, Divisions, etc.). There will be overlaps either way which you will have to figure out a way to deal with. Units got reassigned and attached / unattached throughout the war.

Just a suggestion on how to start organizing what you have. Hope it helps. :D

Good Luck! Post some photos of your progress. It would be nice to see.
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

You might try asking over on the U.S. Militaria Forum, those guys know just about everything US Army and could be a great help to you.
http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
DCook
CPL
CPL

Post by DCook »

Thanks Guys!
My Search Continues.
MVPA Member #23780