W.I.I. Olive Drab mystery...

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Oddjob
SGT
SGT

W.I.I. Olive Drab mystery...

Post by Oddjob »

What is is Olive Drab Mystery... Say's Motor - Generator... looks like it bridges 2 generators... What is it's purpose and what was it used on... My buddy would buy some interesting mil surp stuff that would come off of one of the Bases down by me and every where I looked I have not been able to find anything about this... unfortunately there is no NSN on this item so it predates that system... Trying to find out what this fits so we can find it a new home possibly even make a little beer money off of it rather than recycling it or tossing in the dumpster... As we all know they don't make this stuff anymore... Posting this in a couple of places to see if anyone has a clue... to help narrow it down...

Carter
1SG
1SG

Re: W.I.I. Olive Drab mystery...

Post by Carter »

It is an electric motor that drives a generator and based on the fact that it's electric motor input is 416 volts at 400 cycles 3 phase which is used in most military airplanes and the generator's output is .25 KW at 75 volts DC, I would say it was used in some kind of aircraft to power instruments or for partial power for radio or radar application. This is my SWAG.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
m-11
SGT
SGT

Post by m-11 »

The 416 volt and 400 cycle rating makes it most likely part of a shop test bench or a power generating piece of equipment.
Oddjob
SGT
SGT

Post by Oddjob »

What do they call those sets they drag out to fire the jets up... I was possibly thinking something along that line but haven't found much info... All good info guys...
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Oddjob wrote:What do they call those sets they drag out to fire the jets up... I was possibly thinking something along that line but haven't found much info... All good info guys...

GPU, Ground Power Unit. Those units generate many hundreds of amps and powered by very large Diesel or turbine engines, the unit you have puts out 3.6 amps and is very much to small for starting any kind of aircraft except possibly a model.

http://www.aerospecialties.com/images/t ... CUT_01.jpg
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

HI Guys,

I can't tell you the exact application, but it's a motor-generator......not a motor for a generator. I'll let Wiki explain;

In the context of electric power generation and large fixed electrical power systems, a motor–generator consists of an electric motor mechanically coupled to an electric generator (or alternator). The motor runs on the electrical input current while the generator creates the electrical output current, with power flowing between the two machines as a mechanical torque; this provides electrical isolation and some buffering of the power between the two electrical systems. One use of this type of motor–generator is to eliminate spikes and variations in "dirty power" or to provide phase matching between different electrical system; another is to buffer extreme loads on the power system.

later,
bob