Hey Bert, WC 52 Photos

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Carter
1SG
1SG

Hey Bert, WC 52 Photos

Post by Carter »

Pics of how it looked when I bought it ($1100) from Terry at White Owl Parts Co. in Kinston NC. and shots after I did some work on it. Rebuilt engine, hard cab and front fender rot repair. Never got around to restoring it.

Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
T. Highway

Re: Hey Bert, WC 52 Photos

Post by T. Highway »

Carter,

Great bunch of photos of a real gem of a truck. How long did you have it?

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Excellent photos! I just love those louvered hoods too-wish our M37s were done that way....
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Bert; I owned that truck for 9 years and sold it to a guy from western Maryland who owned several unrestored ones and had plans to do a full resto. on this one. Never saw the guy again and heard he had passed, no idea where it is now but wish I had never gotten rid of it.

Gary; I also like the look of louvers, gives the truck that 1930s style look but sure would be difficult to place the USA numbers over them.

I did the design work on the top my self, top was rolled steel over 1X2" tube steel, back was also steel with a window from a 194s era IHC truck. The doors were aluminum skinned inside and out over a 1X2" light gauge I beam made from welding 2 light weight channels back to back. Door window glass was from early 151 1/4 ton "Jeep" 2 piece windshield replacement glass, each cut in half in each in separate tracks to make windows that slid to open. Door latch/lock was from an M37. No leaks and warmed by a hot water heater attached to where the map board had been. The top was one of a kind and went with the rig when it was sold.
Carter
Life Member:
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Carter,

I bet you DO wish you never sold it. That's one bad-ass looking vehicle. Outstanding job on the top and doors...they look like they were born on the truck. Interesting to hear your comparison of how well it worked compared to your M37. Most folks never get to own both to be able to compare.

thanks,
bob
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Thanks for the comment about the top and doors Bob, I tried to make them look like they belonged to the truck. Thought about it for a long time before starting, took a couple of months of evening work to get what I thought was an acceptable design and finished product, was very happy with what I got.
I thought I "needed" an M37 but did not realize the WC was probably a more valuable truck. Sold it for $3000 of 1989 dollars, needed cask to finish the resto. of the M I now own.
Carter
Life Member: