hemi engine in 37?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

just me
1SG
1SG

hemi engine in 37?

Post by just me »

Has anyone fitted a 50's 241 to 331 hemi into their m37?
Will the flat 6 bellhousing bolt to one?
My neighbor has several good ones I could pick from cheap as he owes me an engine for previous parts swapped from old race cars.
"It may be ugly, but at least it is slow!"
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Re: hemi engine in 37?

Post by RMS »

270 looks good in a ffpw Image

the flat head bell housing does not interchange with any hemi.
.............................. use it ...............
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

That looks good! Tight, but doable.
The deciding factor for me in any engine swap possibility is to keep the original trans and location. ( PTO and winch factor )
I've got a 327 Chev and a 260 Ford I could use, but would rather keep a D/C/P engine in a Dodge.
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

The wider V of the block on the drivers side may cause issues requiring custom headers for the exhaust (take the flow from left to right like on a Ford custom line) or a notable notch in the frame but it's 100% doable and consider a short tail 727 to make the truck more fun to drive, you can also mod the transmissions to give you full engine braking by removing the hilliard clutch and replacing it with a custom sprag and also fit disc brakes and power steering.........Ok, get the engine conversion done first, the go nuts :D LOL

MM
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Years ago, I put a Buick 332 in a 28 model A. Had to make a set of headers on the left that wrapped front and under the pan to the right side for steering and starter clearance. Making exhaust is one of those few things I can do if needed. (I couldn't do body eork to save my life. Can put down a good coat or three of paint, however.)
06boblee
SFC
SFC

Post by 06boblee »

I currently have a 440 with a 727 in mine, but I'm in the process of swapping it out- for a 2014 5.7 hemi with a NAG-1 5 speed auto (out of a Charger). the new engine/trans is a bit shorter than the 440/727 is. the pros are more power, an overdrive trans and a pretty hefty weight savings. The downside is the engine and trans are completely electronic controlled- which means more money to make it work, but it will be well worth the effort I think. The 440 was a tight fit, but I was able to use stock truck exhaust manifolds on it, I will have a little more room around the hemi to work with. I don't have to move the transfer case (didn't with the 440 , won't with the hemi).
'54 M37 wew
MVPA #16921
JimC
SSGT
SSGT

Post by JimC »

Need more than 331 c.i.
Hemiman
PVT
PVT

Post by Hemiman »

The Early Dodge Hemi's fit like they were made for the M37. I had a 241 in mine for many years. Great performance and good gas mileage as well!
19E/K
63B
93B
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

Hemiman wrote:The Early Dodge Hemi's fit like they were made for the M37. I had a 241 in mine for many years. Great performance and good gas mileage as well!
I have been looking for a 273 Cui LA block V8 for quite a while to replace my 318, a better suited engine for the M37, I also want a 727 transmission but now I am just getting greedy huh?? :wink:

MM
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
JimC
SSGT
SSGT

Post by JimC »

Nothing wrong with greedy :-)
Go for it!
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

Hemiman wrote:The Early Dodge Hemi's fit like they were made for the M37. I had a 241 in mine for many years. Great performance and good gas mileage as well!
did you ever calculate mileage? how great was it? I have always thought the 241 would get great mileage with the excellent efficiency of the hemi
M37N55
PVT
PVT

Post by M37N55 »

As I sit here and wipe the drole off my keyboard after looking at the Super Red Ram in a M37.... How does someone get one of those engines? They must be hard to come by eh! Well have to get this truck done before thinking about others... lol
1951 M37 Canadian
2014 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi
Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Wayne64 »

Sometimes you have to think out of the norm for exhaust. I built the below 20+ years ago. 302 Ford, C4 into a 142 Volvo. Look at how I handled the exhaust on this uni-body that had a steering box. Most folks put V8s into 242s as they had steering racks, I just wanted to see if I could do it. To the original poster, forget about using a 260 Ford, yes probably the narrowest across the banks but not suited for 6000 lbs. Great in a Sunbeam though.
MY Life Past and Present
http://crayonmedia.com/wayne/
just me
1SG
1SG

Post by just me »

Just scored a factory new Desoto 291. Will still need to disassemble, clean and re ring it, gaskets and find a 2bbl manifold. The engine was bought new in 55 and never even started! The outside looks like hell from being in the back corner of a truck shop for 61 years, but the inside is shiny clean and beautiful. The valve seals are petrified and the valves are hung from the petrified oil. I will re-ring just because.
It came with a couple of new in the box log manifold kits but I don't want 2 4bbl or 8 1bbl carb setups. Will need to find a distributor, intake and exhaust manifolds. Flywheel bolts to it. Need to make a trans adaptor plate so I don't lose my winch.
If I can't easily do this swap, we will just build a t-bucket around it.