need CLEAR title and frame

Buy and sell M37 and related stuff

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Forum rules
Your Location must be included in your advertisement or it may removed without notice.
choppa
CPL
CPL

need CLEAR title and frame

Post by choppa »

***this was posted in another section.. thought maybe a plea here in the SWAP section might yeild results****.

there has to be ENDLESS trucks out there that have damaged frames, rusted out frames, etc but the owners have the titles for these otherwise un-rebuildable machines.

I would like to find a beat up truck that will NEVER be titled just for the front section of frame and the title. sure would beat the hassle of trying to get one titled here.

anyone have such a frame and clear title to sell?

I own my truck honestly and legally and lein free. just want a title for it.
thought this might be a way to go. my problem is it is out of the state I wish to title it in.. Many miles and many pains away to drag it to a state DMV inspection station for review and sign off.

just thinking outside the box for another option.
Tanner
SGT
SGT

Re: need CLEAR title and frame

Post by Tanner »

Where are you located? See if you can title by bond in your state...

Tanner
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Choppa,

Not sure where you're located or where the truck is.......but here in Maryland I titled both my M's as historic vehicles and there is no inspection.
So it really doesn't matter where the truck is located, as Maryland never lays eyes on it for a title. Even when I register them for license plates there is still no inspection required. So check with your state DMV that you want to title it in and find out if they have a "Historic" classification.

regards,
bob
Rusty1340
PFC
PFC

Post by Rusty1340 »

The only thing you need in Maryland is an open title one you can transfer over to you. New repo Vin plates are helpful in these situations as well. No need to volunteer more information than is needed to MVA.
MVPA #32564
WAC/B&G MVT
Patriot Guard Riders
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

You can say that again, Rusty!

later,
bob
choppa
CPL
CPL

Post by choppa »

thanks all for taking time to answer!

I live in Texas. Texas requires a title to register, far as I know.. You know all the paperwork and forms on the DMV websites drive ya crazy..!

Maybe there is another loophole going the historic vehicle route, but I dont think so. Ill check...

In any case, the bonded title route as Tanner suggested IS the way I am proceeeding. However here are the details and why is so painful.

Bought truck out of MO....had the new purchase hauled to my workshop in OK... remote workshop, 4 hours from nearest texas DMV.

I have ALL paperwork ready to go...pictures of truck, close up pic of VIN on the frame, bill of sale, copty of wire transfer of money.. long trail showing legal ownership.. next step is getting the truck inspected by a DMV officer at a DMV regional service center.

Nearest regional service inspection center is in Dallas. they have inspections every other week, on a thursday... figures.

SO,, for me, not having the trailer and time are the biggest obstacles in getting the truck hauled from its current location (OK) to the nearest DMV service center for inspection. I know it sounds easy, but thats going to be a two-three prong deal for me:

Haul to Dallas from OK.. store closer to home till a thursday I get to the inspection center. load up get to service center.. back home.. either go to OK from there or another step in the process... arggh.. see the time and expense and issue growing here?

I have tried title services. One of them, priced about 549 dollars, STILL requires ME to go get the truck inspected before they do anything else.. hell, thats the biggest issue I got: getting is inspected at the nearest Texas center.

Looked into titling it in OK.. so far, loooks like i need to be a resident there.. which I am not.
So, for me, finding a section of LEGAL truck frame and title might be a valid option.

I am still exploring other possibilities, like seeing if any auto theft unit closer to me, say in a local police department, would do this for me..

what a pain, really.... if all else fails, I am just going to have to bite the bullet and rent or borrow a traielr, haul back to Dallas, make appointment for a inspection, haul back to OK... then I can go apply for the title at a date soon after all that is done.

its all a big pain.. try calling a DMV site and get answers! I already left messages to the ONE contact I got thru a freind of a freind who IS a police office with ties to the DMV.. no call back.. how does one set up an apointment if no one calls you back!!

anyway thanks all for letting me vent and try and figure this out... still thinking the peice of frame and clear title would do it for me :)
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

I really can't help you at all, other than to suggest renting a post office box in OK, and then claim you're a migrant foreign worker. Solves your address and residency problems... :mrgreen:

:roll: :D
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
choppa
CPL
CPL

Post by choppa »

great idea!

I did think perhaps going the "title only" route for my Texas title, and registering it in OK, where it will reside and be used anyway.

I need to explore that route too.

beleive it or not (at least by what I beleive I understand in writing) is one can apply for a Texas "title only" and I beleive the route to pursue is far different. meaning NO inspection. Again, its all so confusing.. we got up-teen forms, and the detailed instructions and agency's one needs to contact.
problem is finding someone to actually pick up the phone there :(

going to the DMV and waiting is an exercise in patience...Depending on who you talk too, one approach is different than the other..

Anyway, I got all kinds of ideas to pursue before loading it up and hauling it south.

thanks all.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Choppa,

Yeah, there's a real difference in "Titling" and "Registering" in each state. Most states do NOT require an inspection to Title a vehicle. Many do not require an inspection when you Register (meaning get license plates or tags), but some do not. It varies state by state and by how you want to register it.....meaning as an Antique Vehicle, Historic Vehicle, Hot Rod, etc.

The key is to get it Titled. Once you have that done title transfers between states is a piece of cake. You just bring your out of state title and your wallet and wait in line. I just titled both my M's in Maryland......one with the previous owner's Maryland title and one with a Virginia title. It only took a few days to get new Maryland titles for both and there were no hassles. Luckily when it's time to register there won't be any inspection required here in Maryland. Hey..........I finally found one good thing about this crappy state!!! I can't legally own an AR-15, but I can drive around an unsafe 6000lb vehicle. Go figure.

later,
bob
DAP
SSGT
SSGT

Post by DAP »

I got a title for my 1954 M37 in NC. It had a Michigan title. However since the vehicle age exempts it from being inspected they require 1 inspection at the beginning. Then you turn in the title with proof of inspection in NC and they reissue another title. I could not get it inspected since it was all in pieces. Every state has differing rules.
All in Air Force blue and black trim
1962 M37B1
rectangular window hardtop, converted to Hercules 4 cyl diesel-intercooled & turbo charged, 12V, disc brakes
1962 M116A1 Generator trailer
1962 M116A1 Pioneer tool trailer
1964 M101A1 3/4 ton trailer
jordankjcm
CPL
CPL

Post by jordankjcm »

Hey DAP, how are you doing? I checked your website and it said that it couldn't be found...error 404. I pray that your recovery progresses well and soon you will be back to full speed.

The NC "inspection" that I needed to change the title from MO to NC was to have a NC DMV investigator come out to my house to confirm that the VIN on the truck matched the VIN on the title. He went back to his office and entered his findings (and photographs) into "the system." Once in "the system," I underwent the patience test and stood in line with title and checkbook in hand. The DMV clerk looked the VIN up and saw that it was accurate, I paid the fee, and received a NC title in the mail several weeks later. Seemed too easy.....but that was 4 years ago and the DMV agents haven't come back to my house so I must be in the clear! :D
DAP
SSGT
SSGT

Post by DAP »

Hey good to hear from you. I just checked the web site and it is working http://www.prayfordan.com
Your experience sounds similar to mine a couple of years ago except the police (special DMV guy) came to my house and we did all the paperwork there. However since the M37 wasn't roadworthy he said they issue a title that says on it must be inspected by a special DMV guy. Once they inspect and fill in some spaces that say it is road worthy then I take it in to the standard DMV, they file (of course I pay money) and then they send me another newer title and I never get inspected again. Your experience is interesting. I guess besides the laws changing from state to state - - - each state can continue to change their laws.
Thank you for your prayers. Came back from oncologist today and he is going to hold off chemo consolidation #3 for another couple of weeks so my bone marrow can rebuild to normal ranges. Just typing this wears me down to nap level. I am thankful God is rebuilding my bone marrow. Supposedly Duke University has found several good bone marrow matches but is doing genetic testing for the best one. Time will tell. My days are in God's hands.
All in Air Force blue and black trim
1962 M37B1
rectangular window hardtop, converted to Hercules 4 cyl diesel-intercooled & turbo charged, 12V, disc brakes
1962 M116A1 Generator trailer
1962 M116A1 Pioneer tool trailer
1964 M101A1 3/4 ton trailer
choppa
CPL
CPL

Post by choppa »

looks like I may have a solution to my problem. well, not entirely not having to transport, but it will be closer.

the Auto theft division person in the South Dallas, TX area, that I had the contact info for, finally called me. She was on vacation. Seems I have NO CHOICE but to have it inspected by a TEXAS Auto theft division police office. however, where I bring it dont need to be in the county I live, just a Texas auto theft unit.

she gave me a name to one unit closer to the OK border, saving me hundreds of miles and hours of trailering time.. so this is how ill proceed now.

The officer in that office called me back, and outlined the procedure. Ill call him in the next few weeks to set up an apointment for an inspection.

So, this is what I gather is the process:

1) Auto theft division views and inspects, verifying VIN on the frame
2) they enter this VIN into the system so all other DMV offices can see it was inspected
3) I proeceed with the bonded title route, getting a "bond" for the truck and a bonded title issued.
4) from there, I register it..

Simple, I guess, in the long run.. would be easy if I lived closer.

I asked the officer if I could get a OK officer, state trooper even, to verify the frame VIN and write a letter, or affidavit, or whatever. nope.. wont fly.. the only option is trailering it to be inspected in person.

well at least I got an easier trailering route now :)

thanks all for the advise.