Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

Good Deal on Oil Filters

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

Ran across this guy selling WIX oil filters for our M37s if you're still using the original Military Standard oil filter housing......a case of 24 for $200 with free delivery. That's a little over $8 a filter. Cheapest I found them for on the web was about $10 with shipping extra. If you don't need 24 he sells them in lots of 4 and 10 I believe......just check his other auctions. He lists them 3 cases at a time, so the auction listing goes up and comes down fast.........so if it says the listing is over just wait a few days and he relists.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-CASE-24-Milit ... 45?vxp=mtr

regards,
bob
Sal
SFC
SFC

Re: Good Deal on Oil Filters

Post by Sal »

Bob. I would be very careful with any oil filter that is NOS. Oil filters have a shelf life of 5 to 7 years. I wouldn't take a chance with anything other then a fresh filter.

Sal
:mrgreen:
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Sal,

Hey..........that's a good point......I never considered that before. I did a little digging and it seems opinions vary widely on shelf life. Seems the key is the gasket drying out, the filter media isn't affected by time if stored properly. But I sent an email to WIX asking what they recommend for a shelf life.........just to get it from the horses mouth, so to speak. Thanks again for bringing this up.

regards,
bob
Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

Bob . This subject came up here a few years ago and I also wrote to 3 filter company's and there response to me is below.

If the filters are stored properly, we generally do not recommend using anything after a 7 year shelf life. After this, you are taking a chance of the paper media beginning to deteriate, and could possibly come apart in the engine causing engine damage.

Bob Buckman
Tech Rep
Champion Labs
1-800-882-0890

Sal,
Thank you for your e-mail. Filters have a shelf life of 5 years. After that, the gasket material may start to degrade.
If I may be of further assistance, please let me know.
Teresa Reeder
Baldwin Filters
Catalog Production Supervisor
Phone: 800-822-5394, ext 79708
e-mail: TReeder@baldwinfilter.com

Question : IS THERE A SHELF LIFE FOR UNUSED OIL FILTERS?

Answer : 5 years

The Paper in the filter will get brittle and should not be used if it's 5 years old or older.

Thank you for your interest in WIX® Filters.

Sal
:mrgreen:
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Damn Sal........you're GOOD!

Thanks for the info!