Safety first.

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Safety first.

Post by m37jarhead »

So I was getting ready to drill a small hole, 1/4", with the drill press. No safety glasses hanging near the press.
I thought, well it's just a quick drill job, no need for the safety glasses. We've all done it a time or two. But then my
"safety first" rule kicked in.
Had to walk to the other side of the shop to get the safety glasses. Good thing that I did.

My "armstrong" method of drilling the hole with a less than sharp bit shattered the drill bit. A "never to be found
again" piece of the bit hit my cheek and safety glasses. Small bruise on the skin but the glasses protected my eye.
No telling what would have happened without the SAFETY GLASSES.

Familiarity breeds contempt. The flying piece of drill bit was a wake up call to me. Be safe.

Jerry
Member: Arizona Military Vehicle Collector's Club, Treasurer.
Past Pres
Member: MVPA #26600
Member: NRA
‘43 GPW, '53 M37 W/W, ‘54 M170 Field Ambulance,
59 M43, '76 M151A2, '86 CUCV,
'43 GPW, 416 & 101 trailers.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Re: Safety first.

Post by w30bob »

Jerry,

Glad to hear you were safe. No stop being such a cheap-butt and go buy some new sharp drill bits!! :mrgreen:

Just kidding. I've had many things fly up and hit me in the face. Took me a while to get with the program, but now I wear a face shield whenever I'm working with such things. Sometimes it takes a close call or two to wake us up to reality.....smarter people figure it out more quickly......but at least I figured it out.

Thanks for the warning.....it's all to easy to be in a hurry and think it won't happen to you. The Emergency Room is full of people like that. :(

regards,
bob
kelley
PFC
PFC

Post by kelley »

I also wear a full face shield, It fits nicely over my glasses. Another good piece of gear are those headlight headband things, super handy.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Amen, Jerry-glad you're ok!
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500