Someone Please talk me down from the ledge....

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

dmccollom

Someone Please talk me down from the ledge....

Post by dmccollom »

Hi,
Dean from Montana here.
I have had M-37s crossing my path tangentially since February and I am beginning to obsess. Would someone scare some sense into me before I do something rash and take the leap into M-37 ownership.
What regrets do you have about owning an M-37?
Dean
Tuko
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Someone Please talk me down from the ledge....

Post by Tuko »

Zero regrets.

Sorry.
51 Dodge M37 W/W 4BT/NV4500

My G741 Registry Entry
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Hi Dean,
Take the plunge! Owning an M37 is great! Parts are plentiful, the expertise from our fourm members combined with the tech manuals will get you through most anything. These trucks are simple to work on as well, and turn a lot of heads. You only need basic mechanical ability to be able to work on the truck, and only one special tool is needed-the wheel-bearing socket which is an 8-sided, 2 and 9/16th rascal.

Oh, what part of Montana? My wife and I love Montana....
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
tbone1004
SSGT
SSGT

Post by tbone1004 »

only regret is i might have to sell mine since I'm moving into an apartment in SC for the next 6-12 months.... That being said if it doesn't sell I'll probably be happier than if it does and I'll find some place to put it
Brigand
SGT
SGT

Post by Brigand »

No Dean, sorry; the only course of treatment is to let the disease run its course. Some of the side effects can be effectively managed with cathartic rants here and on the other forums. Also

liberal application of spirits can bring some relief.

I am afraid however that once you've been exposed recovery is impossible. Some have had long stints of remission only to relapse at a later date.

Really the only truely effective course of treatment is the group therapy which you will find here.

You will find that women are generally immune but a few can become affected by the tertiary effects such as trail rides and rallies.

You have taken the first step in admitting you have a problem, just relax now and let the sickness have its way.

The disease is rarely fatal except in those cases where the stricken may have their judgement affected to the extent that they purchase a new transfer case, and subsequently present it to

their spouse as an anniversary gift.
Last edited by Brigand on Tue May 06, 2014 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brigand aka Bob Thompson

I would never join any club that would have me as a member.
tbone1004
SSGT
SSGT

Post by tbone1004 »

my better half bought me a transmission for the engine swap and has been with me every step of the way in the garage, I guess I'm lucky
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

My only regret was selling my first M37 after I spent wads of time and money restoring it.
That one had an Artic top, fender mounted heater, ran good and looked good.
Will someone please kick me in the butt for doing that.

Fortunately I found an identical M37 to restore. Artic top, fender heater, LU4 winch
and NO RUST. (welcome to Arizona)

No one with basic mechanics ability should be afraid to "attack" an M37. I knew nothing about
them with my first one. It was primarily all the help I got on big electric.com and g741 that helped
me complete the restoration

If you buy one, build it back stock or turn it into a truck that serves your purpose and pocket book.
No one on this forum is critical of modern updates, i.e. disk brakes, LED's, bigger engines, etc.

Wait till I post pic's of my Rube Goldberg A/C system on my M37. I'll welcome the leers and cheers
but at least I'll be one cool customer when it's 115 degrees here in Phoenix when other MV owners
park their rigs for the summer.

Go for it and good luck but remember, and tell your wife, it's a disease with no cure. LOL
Jerry
Member: Arizona Military Vehicle Collector's Club, Treasurer.
Past Pres
Member: MVPA #26600
Member: NRA
‘43 GPW, '53 M37 W/W, ‘54 M170 Field Ambulance,
59 M43, '76 M151A2, '86 CUCV,
'43 GPW, 416 & 101 trailers.
Jess
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Jess »

I bought my first M37 35 yrs ago. I still have it and its been joined by 3 others. They are easy to work on, reasonable to obtain parts for and fun to drive. I consider them the ultimate 4x4 platform and with upgrades can be as good as any new truck. My grandson got his start in mechnics in my workshop, under the hood of one of mine. That was worth it all on its own. You'll meet all sorts of people from all over the place and make new friends. Although most of us on this forum have never and probably will never meet face to face, I consider many my friends. Join the madness, it will last a lifetime....

Jess
dmccollom

Post by dmccollom »

Well I am just going to have to keep my eyes open and my checkbook on the ready for the next time one crosses my path. Does anyone have a pre purchase inspection checklist they would be willing to share?
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

It's funny when you asked to be talked off the ledge and pretty well everyone pushes you over the edge with no hesitstion whatsoever... :wink:

MM
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

dmccollom wrote:Well I am just going to have to keep my eyes open and my checkbook on the ready for the next time one crosses my path. Does anyone have a pre purchase inspection checklist they would be willing to share?

There was an MV "pre-purchase" set of guide lines published some time ago in Military Vehicles Magazine or in Army Motors/Supply Line.
It may be of some help. It's a more or less generic guide. But, "knowledge is power" so do your homework on everything M37 that you can find.
The people that pay the most for the worst trucks are the ones that go into a purchase blind.

Probably your best bet is to find an experienced and knowledgeable M37 owner in your area and ask them to accompany you on
a pre-purchase inspection. They will "see" things and can ask questions that you never imagined. In a pinch, you can also contact
one of the many qualified and expert forum members on this site. PM them with pic's and questions when you find a possible truck
that your interested in buying.

As I've said often.... "rust is the eternal enemy of older vehicles". Badly rusted M37's are extremely expensive and time consuming
to repair. Leave the "rust buckets" for someone else with deep pockets.

You might also add your "location" to your avatar so others in your area could assist.
Jerry
Member: Arizona Military Vehicle Collector's Club, Treasurer.
Past Pres
Member: MVPA #26600
Member: NRA
‘43 GPW, '53 M37 W/W, ‘54 M170 Field Ambulance,
59 M43, '76 M151A2, '86 CUCV,
'43 GPW, 416 & 101 trailers.
Brigand
SGT
SGT

Post by Brigand »

Monkey Man wrote:It's funny when you asked to be talked off the ledge and pretty well everyone pushes you over the edge with no hesitstion whatsoever... :wink:

MM

C'mon Tony, He's no longer in contact with the ledge right?! What are friends for? Besides now he's One of us, one of us, one of us...... :twisted:
Brigand aka Bob Thompson

I would never join any club that would have me as a member.
Hal O'Peridol
PFC
PFC

Post by Hal O'Peridol »

Brigand wrote:
Monkey Man wrote:It's funny when you asked to be talked off the ledge and pretty well everyone pushes you over the edge with no hesitstion whatsoever... :wink:

MM

C'mon Tony, He's no longer in contact with the ledge right?! What are friends for? Besides now he's One of us, one of us, one of us...... :twisted:

Yep. "Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!"
USAR 1980-1983
US Army 1983 to 1993 05H20Y4, 98G2LGM
Desert Storm 1990 to 1991, 1st Inf Div.
1984 M1009 CUCV
1944 GPW 1/4 T
1953 M37 3/4 T
M100 1/4T trailer
1 M416 1/4T trailer
More Army Surplus stuff than you can shake a stick at.
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP!..... :) Of course we say it with love. :lol:
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
rickv100
SGT
SGT

Post by rickv100 »

General advice. Get the best most complete truck you can afford. You will wind up spending more fixing things if you do not. Also do not be decieved by a paint job. Look it over well.

Rick