No spark, no run

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

MarkPick
CPL
CPL

No spark, no run

Post by MarkPick »

Hey guys, On my way home tonight from work, my truck was running fine. Then a spit and sputter and coast off to the side of the road. I have a protonics ignition on it. I was getting fuel just fine (see through fuel filter) Pulled #1 spark plug and had no spark. I just replaced the coil not too long ago. Air lines are open and correctly routed. I am going to pull the coil in the morning and do a check on it. I may have bought a junk coil, does anyone have the NAPA part number for the 24 volt coil? Second question is, what else should I check? again, good fuel flow, air lines clean, solid state ignition, just no spark.

Thanks in advance

Mark
USAF Retired
Desert Storm
Iraqi Freedom
tbone1004
SSGT
SSGT

Re: No spark, no run

Post by tbone1004 »

take a multimeter, make sure the coil is getting voltage. If it is getting voltage then it's likely your coil, they fail randomly for weird reasons and could have been bad to begin with.
MarkPick
CPL
CPL

Post by MarkPick »

Thanks Tbone! First time in adult life I had to be towed. Since I am off tomorrow I will go through the whole thing and also check what you suggested.

Mark
USAF Retired
Desert Storm
Iraqi Freedom
tbone1004
SSGT
SSGT

Post by tbone1004 »

no problem, I always keep at least a cheap $5 harborfreight multimeter with me, that way I can always diagnose for sure dead batteries, alternators, and coil problems if they come up.
MarkPick
CPL
CPL

Post by MarkPick »

Yep, I keep the basic tools and some backup parts. Sounds like I may need to keep a spare coil on hand as well. I am about to go check everything out. Will post findings.

thanks
USAF Retired
Desert Storm
Iraqi Freedom
Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

This might be of some help to you testing your coil Mark.. I got it from CUZ's Jeep web site
Last edited by Sal on Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
52 M-42
SFC
SFC

Post by 52 M-42 »

Thanks for that picture Sal! That will be very handy to keep with my manuals and in the garage. :D

52 M-42
MarkPick
CPL
CPL

Post by MarkPick »

Yes, Thanks Sal!

Now for the rest of the story. I pulled the top off of the distributor and found the lead wire completely broke. The insulation on it just crumbled when you touched it. I also found one of the springs had come off and when I went reconnect it, there was no tension left in it. So tomorrow it will go in a box and be shipped out to Charles to get rebuilt. On a brighter note, I checked the coil and everything is fine with it. And since I was already under the hood, I pulled the airhorn on the carb and checked the tubes on it, all clear and everything just the way it should have been.

Thanks to everyone who gave me the places to look. Will let you know when I get it back on the road.

Mark
USAF Retired
Desert Storm
Iraqi Freedom
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

Did you pull the brass elbow fittings from the elbow for a visual inspection? Sometimes people install off the shelf fittings here, not realizing specialty fittings were originally used. If correct fittings are not used here, there will be no forced air circulation, even though all appears to be plumbed correctly.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
MarkPick
CPL
CPL

Post by MarkPick »

Charles,
No I didn't, will go back out and recheck. Hopefully my dist arrived at your shop today.
USAF Retired
Desert Storm
Iraqi Freedom
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

MarkPick wrote:Charles,
No I didn't, will go back out and recheck. Hopefully my dist arrived at your shop today.
It did arrive today, will get it checked out ASAP.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
MarkPick
CPL
CPL

Post by MarkPick »

Thanks Charles!
USAF Retired
Desert Storm
Iraqi Freedom
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

MSeriesRebuild wrote:Did you pull the brass elbow fittings from the elbow for a visual inspection? Sometimes people install off the shelf fittings here, not realizing specialty fittings were originally used. If correct fittings are not used here, there will be no forced air circulation, even though all appears to be plumbed correctly.
My truck had standard fittings on it when I got it. For the life of me I could not figure out how they were meant to create air flow. Members here pointed out that the intake hose pointed into the air flow, and the exhaust line went with the air flow.
MarkPick
CPL
CPL

Post by MarkPick »

Back up and running! Charles and his crew did a fantastic job on the dist rebuild. Had a slight fuel delivery issue on start up but got that fixed. Before the dist rebuild I would have to choke the carb to get it to start. Not now! First turn and it fires and runs. I can notice a definite change in throttle response also.

Thanks again for all the advice and help in trouble shooting the problems. I have skinned knuckles and grease under my nails, I am a happy man!

Mark
USAF Retired
Desert Storm
Iraqi Freedom
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

MarkPick wrote:Back up and running! Charles and his crew did a fantastic job on the dist rebuild. Had a slight fuel delivery issue on start up but got that fixed. Before the dist rebuild I would have to choke the carb to get it to start. Not now! First turn and it fires and runs. I can notice a definite change in throttle response also.

Thanks again for all the advice and help in trouble shooting the problems. I have skinned knuckles and grease under my nails, I am a happy man!

Mark
Glad we could help solve several problems for you. This is a good testament that when a distributor is only slightly "off key," it can and will affect numerous areas of efficient operation. Many have been convinced that they had fuel related issues going on when all the while the distributor not operating at peak efficiency was the real issue. Fuel and ignition systems must both operate at their peak to get the job done at its best.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com