Pentronics

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

captain kirk
PFC
PFC

Pentronics

Post by captain kirk »

Just installed the pentronics pick up moduel in my M, should have done this years ago. Starts faster and runs better, cant wait to take it for a ride.
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Re: Pentronics

Post by ZGjethro »

I agree. I sent my carb and distributor to M-series rebuild back in 2010 just after I bought my barely running truck. I had the carb rebuilt and the Pertronix installed, and my truck was a different animal. Since I had two systems re-done at the same time, I cannot say which helped more, but the truck runs great now. Or it did before the gas tank sprung a major leak.
CSCameron
PFC
PFC

Post by CSCameron »

Which Pertronics products did you get? Coil? Ignitor I or II?

Thanks!
monkeymissile
SSGT
SSGT

Post by monkeymissile »

CSCameron wrote:Which Pertronics products did you get? Coil? Ignitor I or II?

Thanks!
does Pertronix make a suitable 24V coil? All I see are 6 and 12.....
1953 Dodge M43

Fail often to succeed sooner
captain kirk
PFC
PFC

Post by captain kirk »

My spelling sucks, its actually Pertronix MV-161A Ignitor that i installed.And like i stated earlier i should have done it years ago.
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

I keep seeing people having failng petronix on some other dodge forums. some of them have gone back to stock. one guy with a command car says he had his stock dist rebuilt by MWM with points and the truck has never run better. his petronix failed in hot weather which seems to be the contributor to the failures. i have never had stock leave me stranded so probalby wont change.
sturmtyger380
SFC
SFC

Post by sturmtyger380 »

Points work great on low revving engines. The points breaker arm is basically bouncing open and closed because it gets slapped by the bumps attached to the distributor shaft. The higher revs for the engine cause more bounce and the dwell contact of the closed points is less. This translates into less power.

Before they started using magnets and light with photocells to trigger the spark, high revving race engines might have two sets of points to help compensate for the bounce.

I have a set from Charles to try on my truck when I get that far. Points work fine though when you set them right.

Sounds like the guys who are going back had heat issues in the dist housing.

Alan
47 CJ2A
53 M38A1
52 M37
51 M38
67 M416
?? M101A1