Engine Storage?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Ray505
PVT
PVT

Engine Storage?

Post by Ray505 »

Hello. What is the best way to store my M37 engine while I complete other parts of the restoration. I just finished it and currently it is drained of coolant and oil. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ray
tbone1004
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Engine Storage?

Post by tbone1004 »

I would put it on the stand, fill it up with oil and spin the oil pump with a drill to coat everything. Put some MMO in the cylinders and turn the crank over a couple of times to coat the walls. Plug all of the intake and exhaust ports, cover with a blanket to keep dust off and you're good to go for quite a while actually. You can turn the crank by hand every few months if you want to recoat the cylinder walls, or run the oil pump via drill if you really want to, but it shouldn't need it.

Edit: For long term storage, build a wooden crate on wheels to support it via the oil pan/motor mount points. Can be built out of 2x4's and some casters but that way you can move it around and not run the risk of knocking it over.
8543bob
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Engine Storage?

Post by 8543bob »

GOOD MORNING, I would also fill the coolant passages with anti freeze. Keeps the rust away while is storage. I winterize boat engines and I never leave them without anti freeze.
BOB