ford ranger carb.

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

ford ranger carb.

Post by ZGjethro »

In a couple of vehicle descriptions of M37's for sale, I have read of trucks having Ford Ranger carburetors on them. Is this a easy way to go for better vehicle efficiency? Does anyone have any experience with this, or any other carb swaps? My motor is pretty much stock other than a small amount of head milling and it has an electric fuel pump.
Thanks
John
jimmy_stikx
SGT
SGT

Re: ford ranger carb.

Post by jimmy_stikx »

Depending on the carb and the style of jets and such it might be a tad easier to tune for altitude change and barometric pressure than the ETW1, past that, no idea.
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

Thanks. I am at high altitude (8000') and I am trying to lean out the mixture a little bit. I was wondering if newer carbs might do a better job atomizing the fuel. I don't expect much from the old motor design, but if an 80's era carb would help, I might do that.

Are there other size jets for the ETW1 carb? That might be the simplest option.
tbone1004
SSGT
SSGT

Post by tbone1004 »

ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

Thanks tbone. That would be another option for a more modern carb. I really doubt that guy's 18mpg claim though. I don't get that with my 4600 lb 4runner with a fuel injected 3.4L v6. I am just hoping for some better milage and less rich smelling exhaust.
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

ZGjethro wrote:Thanks tbone. That would be another option for a more modern carb. I really doubt that guy's 18mpg claim though. I don't get that with my 4600 lb 4runner with a fuel injected 3.4L v6. I am just hoping for some better milage and less rich smelling exhaust.
Hard to believe 18mpg when most of us are lucky to get 9mpg. On a 6,500 lbs. truck? Let's see now.... I'm no math whiz but isn't that double?

The first VW Bug that I bought had no fuel gauge and I was getting 40 to 50mpg until I found out that my brother was
adding fuel every day. All these years later he's still a smart-ass. :D
Jerry
Member: Arizona Military Vehicle Collector's Club, Treasurer.
Past Pres
Member: MVPA #26600
Member: NRA
‘43 GPW, '53 M37 W/W, ‘54 M170 Field Ambulance,
59 M43, '76 M151A2, '86 CUCV,
'43 GPW, 416 & 101 trailers.
tbone1004
SSGT
SSGT

Post by tbone1004 »

that 4runner is capable of almost doubling that fuel economy if you remove all of the emissions crap out of it. All modern cars are knocked down 20% or much much more by their emissions equipment. Put a freeflowing exhaust on there and optimize the computer and you'll be amazed what the engines can do. That is why it isn't out of the question for a properly tuned older engine with no emissions equipment to do great fuel economy with EFI. With a carb on there I'm skeptical, but who knows, he has bigger tires on there, steeper gears, and if he doesn't have a lot of stop and go, avg of 18mpg for longer trips is a little close to unrealistic, but not impossible... The 1bbl carbs are terribly inefficient, more barrels the better to keep the jets small, but who knows.
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

Thats what I was wondering. I was hoping 30-40 years of carb development might yield more efficiency. When I first got my truck, it was running poorly. To the point of gas puddling in the intake manifold. A rebuilt carb and pertronix ignition cleaned that up, but it still smells pretty rich, with sooty plugs when I pull them. I have never dealt with jetting a vehicle, even when I drove carbureted 70's era GM cars and trucks. I am ok with jetting two stroke bikes and sleds, but four stroke autos are new to me
tbone1004
SSGT
SSGT

Post by tbone1004 »

i don't know if it's the carb technology or just the fact that the more barrels you have the better atomization you have due to the smaller jets. Spread bore 4bbl's do really well because of the baby primaries for normal driving and then the big ass secondaries when you need them. With a one barrel there really isn't any way to adjust the carb across multiple driving conditions, all or nothing. Guy with the username of Zeke on here has a dual intake manifold and rochester carbs for it and that may be a good option for you for drivability gains and a few more mpgs.
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Post by ZGjethro »

I've seen the Offenhauser dual intake/carb option for the 230. That seems like twice the hassle to me. I am just kind of thinking of other options that would bolt onto my current intake. I don't want to deal with complex linkages and multi carb setups. A two barrel carb might be the ticket for me. It is actually further down the list of things that I should get to. Better brakes should be #1 on my list.
tbone1004
SSGT
SSGT

Post by tbone1004 »

the dual carbs aren't actually that difficult to setup. linkages are made for them so you just bolt up and tune them. you'll still need an adapter to get a dual carb on your manifold though it's not something that is going to bolt right on. Company called Manifolds by Moose makes a combo dual carb intake and exhaust manifold for $350 ish that is pretty slick looking. I was going to go that route prior to my engine swap but I'm repowering sooner than anticipated.
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

My truck has a "parts" carby when I got it, the 251Cui FH6 had a stromberg carburettor made up with the 1 7/8" base from an early Ford Stromberg Carburettor (Falcon model), the upper was a late model GM Stromberg (Commodore) with better fuel mixing capability and it gave my truck a lot more low end torque, when I removed the engine after it failed I gave the carburettor to a friend whom fitted it to his WC Command Car and he was very impressed as it gave him a gear better performance (he had to drop back to 3rd on smaller grades, no need after fitting this carburettor) so as good as the ETW is it can be improved on. HOWEVER, over carbing an engine and not setting it up correctly can lead to poor fuel mix ratios and resulting engine damage and possible destruction, my engine died due to piston failure and this was likely caused by me as when I first got the engine I used to rev it like a modern engine as I simply didn't know what it was all about and no governor was fitted. I have been looking for a 4 barrel Carter with the factory auto choke on it for a while now for my 318 as the 350CFM Holley can be a real dog until it heats up and it freezes up sometimes too, has anyone seen where to get the 12V "griddle" that goes under a Holley to stop the fuel freezing on the butterflies as it's a bit shite scary when you back off the pedal coming up to a corner and it keeps going, then you have to tap the throttle to clear the fuel ice and the resulting fuel dump and backfire can't be doing anything any good.....

MM
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

m37jarhead wrote: Hard to believe 18mpg when most of us are lucky to get 9mpg. On a 6,500 lbs. truck? Let's see now.... I'm no math whiz but isn't that double?

that's ruff jerry ..9mpg :shock:

18mpg dose not seem unattainable to me as I can get 17mpg on the flats @ sea level in the city with speeds around 30-40mph. granted that's with my 52 cdn m37 with a 251, 4.89s, 900/16 STA ndts @ 35psi in the front and 45psi in the rear. however that number drops to 14mpg when a hill or highway is introduced :wink:

6,500lbs what are you carting around? my truck and gear weighs in around 5400lbs
.............................. use it ...............