New to M37s HELP!

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

hotterodder

New to M37s HELP!

Post by hotterodder »

:oops: Hey, I have a friend who can't work on his 1956 M37 any more, and he has asked me to do the brakes. Sounds simple enough...can't get the front wheels off, looks like the dualmatic locking hubs are to close to the lug nuts. Do I have to pull the hubs to get the wheels off? Should we get smaller lug nuts if he wants to keep those hubs? HELP! :oops:
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Re: New to M37s HELP!

Post by w30bob »

Hi Hotrodder,

Not sure I understand the problem.....are you saying you can't get a socket on the lug nuts......or that the hubs are so close you can't even get an open end wrench on them. Meaning if you turn them with the open end wrench the points on lug nuts won't clear the Dualmatics? The skinniest socket for removing the lugs nuts is the socket that came with the M37 originally. If that won't fit on or just turning the lug nuts with an open end wrench makes them contact the hub...........you'll have to remove the hubs. Here's a link to one on Ebay so you can see what the socket I'm talking about looks like.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M37-Dodge-W-C-3 ... 7e&vxp=mtr

regards,
bob
hotterodder

Post by hotterodder »

Yeah, the regular socket won't fit and they are tight enough that an open end wrench won't budge them. Looks like I'll pull the hubs, got to get them off anyway to get the drums off. Thanks
tbone1004
SSGT
SSGT

Post by tbone1004 »

you shouldn't need to pull hubs to get the drums off, but if you go to Lowes, they have a 1.5" 12 point socket in 1/2" drive. Obviously not the best, but it will be thin enough to get around the hubs. I've used them quite successfully on all four of my tires many times.
T. Highway

Post by T. Highway »

Welcome to the forum, lots of good information here.

There are left hand and right hand threaded lug nuts on the truck. Make sure you are spinning them in the correct direction. :wink:

Bert
1952 M37 W/W Rebuild @ 59% complete
Engine rebuild @ 95% complete
1985 M1009, 1990 M101A2, 2008 M116A3 Pioneer tool trailer
MVPA # 24265
NRA Life Member
NRA Cert. Personal Protection Pistol Instructor
NRA Cert. RSO
Class III RSO/KCR
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

if the drums are worn and the shoes are tight the adjuster will need to be backed off to allow extraction of the drums. depending on the condition it may be a good Idea to free up the adjusters before taking the wheel off as one could easily pull the truck off a jack or jack stands with vigorous wrenching. upper adjuster/cam (minor) up to increase clearance down to reduce. the bottom adjusters/cams have little arrows that should point to each other for max clearance.

most new tools are too thick to work on a m37. 40s-50s blue point, pre 80s craftsman and most stallwalt and hazet wrenches/sockets work best. I have a bunch of bud wrenches and most wont clear the hubs
.............................. use it ...............
JimC
SSGT
SSGT

Post by JimC »

That ebay socket description says it is an 8-point. How could that possibly work?
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Jim,

That's because I sent you the wrong link. That socket is for the bearing retainer, not the lug nuts. I guess I had my head in my ass on that one. I looked at the bud lug nut wrench that comes with the M37 and it's pretty thick too.........so that won't help you. Sorry about that.

regards,
bob
hotterodder

Post by hotterodder »

Thanks for all the info, I did know about the left and right hand thread lug nuts, but the adjusters on the backing plate was very helpful. I removed the Dualmatic locking hubs and then the regular socket worked fine. I'm replacing all the wheel cylinders and the master cylinder, the brake hoses and the brake shoes. Does anybody know if a regular brake shop will turn those drums?
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Look for an old-style tire shop who may still have the proper lathe to do your drums. Most modern shops can't do them.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
hotterodder

Post by hotterodder »

Now that it's stopping, I've found out that the head gasket is leaking :roll: pushing out antifreeze out the overflow tube while giving it gas, bubbling with the cap off and idling :cry: Is that head gasket hard to find? Can't imagine it's to hard to replace, how prone to cracks are the blocks?
JimC
SSGT
SSGT

Post by JimC »

There's one on eBay for $20.
Kaegi
SFC
SFC

Post by Kaegi »

you may jsut have the radiator overfilled. the system is designed to run low in the upper tank for expansion. it will find its own level. or you can drain the system and look in the book for exact coolant capaicty and measure as you fill.

blocks are not prone to crakcing at all. I have never seen a cracked mopar flathead. anything can crack obviously but the nickel moylbdenum content in these castings was very high by any standards
pwrwagonfire
SSGT
SSGT

Post by pwrwagonfire »

Kaegi wrote:you may jsut have the radiator overfilled. the system is designed to run low in the upper tank for expansion. it will find its own level.

This^^ most likely

My block was cracked, but that was due to someone using bolts too long to replace the water pump.

-T