fuel tank cleaning

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

macibell111
CPL
CPL

fuel tank cleaning

Post by macibell111 »

the m37 tank I have is very clean except for some loose dirt,shiny metal inside but it has baffles on 2 sides of the tank with small holes for the gas to go through,i want to flush it out and would like to use soap or simple green ,with the baffles in it will it dry completely or should I just rinse with gas,and call it good.any suggestions????/
Brett
SSGT
SSGT

Re: fuel tank cleaning

Post by Brett »

I used some strong degreaser to clean my tank out. I even threw some small gravel in there with it and shook it vigorously for a while to clean it all out. I then rinsed it several times with a garden hose. I then set a leaf blower blowing in it and readjusting until everything looked dry. I then dumped in about a half a gallon of acetone and sloshed it around a bit, dumped it, and repeated the leaf blower thing.

Brett
majorhitt
SGT
SGT

Post by majorhitt »

Pretty much ditto what Brett said. To dry it I used a air hose then a heat gun. That got it good and dry.
pwrwagonfire
SSGT
SSGT

Post by pwrwagonfire »

I personally removed mine and had it washed out with acid and sealed properly...but then again my tank was NASTY. Had to be rinsed 4 times with acid at the shop to get it clean.

That however is besides the point....if I were in your position I'd just rinse it clean by opening the bottom drain till it was clean.

-T
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Depending on how much time you have you can just run soap and water through until it's clean and then leave it open for a week or so in a dry place and it will dry out. If you need the truck right away then the leaf blower heat gun method might be better.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
Rusty1340
PFC
PFC

Post by Rusty1340 »

I took mine to a local radiator shop they took care of it. $45.00
MVPA #32564
WAC/B&G MVT
Patriot Guard Riders
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor