Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Tim Powell
MSGT
MSGT

Veteran Day Parade Quincy Illinois

Post by Tim Powell »

Family & Friends
11/09/2013

Today I attended one of the most honorable events I've ever been involved with. Sometime back I was invited to bring our M-37 Military vehicle to the Quincy Illinois Veterans' Parade.

A Friend and Fellow Military vehicle owner who has been involved with several other Quincy events is the one responsible for my invitation. He drove his desert-storm tan Deuce and a half pulling his boat with the banners for "Fishing For Freedom".

When we arrived at the staging site there was a bit of confusion about the order in which we were to line up. By the time our place in line was determined there was no place to unload our rig and park the dually & trailer. The decision was made to leave the "M" on the trailer and take the whole rig through the parade route. A Young Lady fresh out of the Navy asked if she could ride in the M-37 on the wagon and I was delighted!! She even wore the steel-pot helmet!! I think one of my "Best Buds" has already sent me a few fantastic pictures!! I'm hoping he will allow me to share a few of them!!

Unknown to me after the parade in town there was to be a second parade at the Quincy Veterans' Home Compound.

We were led to a large parking and staging lot and I finally unloaded the M-37 and she officially had her "boots on the ground". My Buddy took off and staged his deuce in line. I stayed back and waited a bit for further instructions as to my assignment.

When I was led to the lineup I was overwhelmed when the Parade Marshal placed us right behind the leader, a horse drawn caisson carrying a Flag covered casket. One horse to pull the caisson and a second horse, no rider, boots in the stirrups backwards.

When we started to move along the route and approached the first of the spectators I watched an old Veteran rise to his feet from a wheelchair and salute the Flag draped coffin. Well, I couldn't choke back the tears. I cannot put into words the emotions I felt and the respect I saw in the faces of the crowd.

When it was all over and the "M" was back on her trailer heading out of town I asked myself, will we ever be able to pay our debt owed to these Men & Women who serve their Country? Our Country.

Tim & Lori Powell
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil,
is that good men do nothing".
Tim & Lori Powell
1952 Dodge M-37
1968 M101A1 Cargo Trailer
2011 F350 Ford Flatbed
MC-A1 Air Compressor Unit
Military Tank APU

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil
is that good men do nothing."
Cal_Gary

Re: Veteran Day Parade Quincy Illinois

Post by Cal_Gary »

That's quite a touching story, Tim; military burials are becoming all too familiar as we continue to lose our "greatest generation", our Korean Conflict and 'Nam vets, and those recently or still serving around the globe today.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

Tim,
Thanks for sharing that touching story. That is the perfect example of why we restore these vehicles to honor those who served :) Looking forward to pics.

David
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
Tim Powell
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Tim Powell »

I'm glad to be able to contribute Fellows.
Tim & Lori Powell
1952 Dodge M-37
1968 M101A1 Cargo Trailer
2011 F350 Ford Flatbed
MC-A1 Air Compressor Unit
Military Tank APU

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil
is that good men do nothing."