Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

GE 4860 Headlights....Where to Buy

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

For those of us who are "correct" freaks when it comes to our M37s you probably know the supply of "correct" 4860 headlights, the ones with the Douglas connectors, are drying up big-time. I wasn't thinking about it much until I picked up a single NOS 4860 headlight at a swap meet this spring. That got me looking at their availability....or lack there of. Now most normal folks would just buy the three-prong to Douglas connectors adapters that Brian Asbury sells for cheap, use normal 3-prong headlights, and be done with it. But if you're a "correct" freak you want to have those 4860 headlights in your M...even though no one will ever see the Douglas connectors on the back.

So the reason for this post is to let you know the cheapest place to still get 4860 headlights. Guys sell these on Ebay for $40 to $60 a piece, and on the internet for about the same price. But I found one place that sells them for less than $25 each. I ordered 3 (since I already have one) just to make sure they're what they say they are.....they arrived yesterday.....and they are NOS GE 4860 headlights with the Douglas connectors, each sealed in their old GE box. I don't think these guys have an unlimited supply of these, so I just ordered a few more to put on the shelf....but if you think you'll have a need for some of these you might want to get some while the getting's good.

Here's the link, and yes, althought it's hard to believe.....it's thru Amazon.com. Oh, the shipping was $6.95 whether you buy one or a dozen. Enjoy!

http://www.amazon.com/GE-4860/dp/B008YX3XZ4
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Re: GE 4860 Headlights....Where to Buy

Post by k8icu »

Good information Bob.

I get my headlights from Star Electric Ordance Kevin Emdee is one of the owners and a really great guy I've known him for 20 years or so.

Joe
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi K8,

I never heard of Star Electric so I did a little digging. I didn't find a website, so how do you know what he sells? Are his prices good?

thanks,
bob
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Bob

Well as I said I've known him through the MVPA for like 20 years and we would meet up at different military vehicle shows. I know his specialty is MV light bulbs and electrical parts like caps, rotors spark plugs. He may have an ebay store, but I'm not sure.

Joe
mike_l
SGT
SGT

Post by mike_l »

Kevin hits most of the big shows and a lot here in the mid-west. He is out of Kentucky. He is usually at the Iola, WI show if you get up there.

I don't know about the ebay store either but his prices are competitive meaning sometimes he has the best prices and sometimes you can find a better deal a couple of tables down. Kevin is a good guy to work with and pretty smart on a lot of stuff.
Mike
Marion, IN
1954 M37 W/OW
1953 M101
Indiana MVPA
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Update....I got my second order of 4860 headlights delivered. They were double boxed and arrived in great shape. They were from a company called Martek Industries via Amazon. What I recently learned (like the other day) is that the original headlights in M37s were made by Auto-Lite. I knew the headlight buckets were made by Auto-Lite, but not the bulbs.

regards,
bob
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Does this mean you are now on a quest for Auto-Lite head lamps?
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

K8........BINGO! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I have two that came with the M I got from Carter.....I have to go see what's on my other M. Truth be told...finding old original Auto-Lite headlights with the wires and connectors still intact will be about impossible. I have to peel back the rubber where the wires connect to the headlights and see how they are connected. If they're just soldered then making new wires with Douglas connectrs will be easy. If they go internal to the headlight.......different story.

later,
bob