Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

Pioneer Rack - Older vs Old

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

I see there are two versions of the Pioneer tool rack used on M37s. The earlier version I believe is a carryover from WW2, and is the first pic below with the vertical center section.
The newer version is the second pic with the diagonal center section. What I don't know is when did the Army transition from the WW2 style to the newer version? I see pics in some of my manuals showing the WW2 version on early M37s, but I don't know what year they switched to the newer version. What I'm really asking here is which rack is "correct" for what year M37s. I looked online for the history of the Pioneer tool rack and didn't find any info regarding when the second design was introduced. Both my trucks are Korean War vintage, so I'd like to know which rack style it came with when new. Shout out if you know!!

thanks,
bob

Pioneer 2 by w30bob, on Flickr

PioneerNew by w30bob, on Flickr
majorhitt
SGT
SGT

Re: Pioneer Rack - Older vs Old

Post by majorhitt »

I don't know, I have to look at my original tailgate.(My M37 is a 51) I have it in a shed. It may have an outline of the rack. I'll check it out and post later.
M60TC
PFC
PFC

Post by M60TC »

My 1952 Truck is 98% original and your second photo matches the rack mounted on the Truck tailgate. I noted the cross-tie strap in the lower left side used to hold shovel and pick handle.
majorhitt
SGT
SGT

Post by majorhitt »

Here's a M37 A few miles from my house. the owner will not sell. it's a 51. Here's what the rack looks like on this.Image
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

I have only seen the second pictured style of rack on all the M37s I have owned or seen. I do not believe the first one shown is WWII type but think it is a much later one found on post Korean War vehicles based on my observation of later trucks, mostly duces and 5 tons.

This rack was found in the cargo bed of my truck under years of decayed leaf litter. After cleaning it I found no pitting under the surface rust and found no reason not to use it in my resto. project.

Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
DAP
SSGT
SSGT

Post by DAP »

I once had the mount with the straight brace (as opposed to the angle brace). It came off an early 50s M37. I was going to mount it on my 1962 M37B1 but it seemed to interfere with letting the tailgate down all the way. This was with no tools mounted on it. At the time I also had a rotating pintle hitch which sticks out a little further. Anyone have this problem with either model mount?
All in Air Force blue and black trim
1962 M37B1
rectangular window hardtop, converted to Hercules 4 cyl diesel-intercooled & turbo charged, 12V, disc brakes
1962 M116A1 Generator trailer
1962 M116A1 Pioneer tool trailer
1964 M101A1 3/4 ton trailer
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

Just checked Dan, the mattock handle hits the top of the pintle when the gate is down unless the pintle is rotated 90 degrees then the tops of the bumperetts contact the tailgate. There is no interference with the pioneer rack it's self when I fold the gate all the way down.
Carter
Life Member:
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

Well, after much digging, it appears what I'm calling the older rack with the vertical center section was used during WW2 on a number of vehicles. It's a little shorter than what most have on their M37's with the diagonal center section. The slanted diagonal version is 38-1/2" X 12" compared to WW2 version which is 42-1/8" X 12-1/8". Looking thru my M37 manuals I've found a few pics of the M37 with the longer WW2 style rack installed, but I think those were early pre-production pics. Or as DAP said, they were installed on the early trucks and then a switch was made to the shorter racks we've all come to know and love. I'd like to know when they switched over, but that's probably one of those tid-bits that's been lost to time. It would be interesting to hear from someone who judges M37s at the national meets if both styles are considered correct, and if not is the WW2 style considered correct for early trucks only. But I don't think we have such a person on this forum....do we? Maybe that's an MVPA question. :D

regards,
bob
M60TC
PFC
PFC

Post by M60TC »

Did the Pioneer Tool Bracket come installed from the factory on all Trucks??, or was it an item that was installed at the discretion of the Unit Commander and supplied by what was available, thru authorized Supply Channels and Stock at hand??
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi M60,

I'm no expert here, but the ORD 9 does list the Pioneer tool rack, so I assume it came on the truck from the factory. It also lists the individual components of the rack itself and the sheath for the axe, but no tools (axe, shovel, mattock) are listed....so I guess those were supplied after delivery.

regards,
bob
pwrwagonfire
SSGT
SSGT

Post by pwrwagonfire »

Interesting thread!

I've definitely got to get one of these for mt '52...has the mounting holes but its missing.

-T
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

T,

There's also spacers that go between the rack and the tailgate......I don't know the exact thickness because I don't have any....but I'm sure the others can tell you the correct size.

regards,
bob
Carter
1SG
1SG

Post by Carter »

w30bob wrote:Hi Guys,

Well, after much digging, it appears what I'm calling the older rack with the vertical center section was used during WW2 on a number of vehicles. It's a little shorter than what most have on their M37's with the diagonal center section. The slanted diagonal version is 38-1/2" X 12" compared to WW2 version which is 42-1/8" X 12-1/8". Looking thru my M37 manuals I've found a few pics of the M37 with the longer WW2 style rack installed, but I think those were early pre-production pics. Or as DAP said, they were installed on the early trucks and then a switch was made to the shorter racks we've all come to know and love. I'd like to know when they switched over, but that's probably one of those tid-bits that's been lost to time. It would be interesting to hear from someone who judges M37s at the national meets if both styles are considered correct, and if not is the WW2 style considered correct for early trucks only. But I don't think we have such a person on this forum....do we? Maybe that's an MVPA question. :D

regards,
bob

Oh well my memory lets me down again, sorry Bob for the incorrect info. :oops:
Carter
Life Member:
mike_l
SGT
SGT

Post by mike_l »

The spacers I have are 3/8" high/thick by 3/4" wide. I think I got mine from Sid years back.
Mike
Marion, IN
1954 M37 W/OW
1953 M101
Indiana MVPA