Oil leak from Steering Knuckle

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

bill monahan
CPL
CPL

Oil leak from Steering Knuckle

Post by bill monahan »

Oil has been leaking from my passenger side steering knuckle since I got the M a few months ago. I figured it"s time to fix it and called John at Midwest to order a knuckle seal kit. John informed me that if oil is leaking at the knuckle it"s not the knuckle seal but the inner axle seal thats allowing diff oil past. Didn't expect that. I know it's a ton of work to get in there and while in there will lead to other repairs as well like trunnion bearings and stuff. Might have to wait awhile.
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Re: Oil leak from Steering Knuckle

Post by RMS »

don't wait the gear oil will wash the grease out of the knuckle. it's an easy job just ten bolts and three screws. jack up offending side, undo the 5 lugs and remove tire. next undo the three drum retaining screws, pull the drum and place the drum just behind the axle in the wheel well. undo the five spindle bolts and rest the spindle, hub assembly and part of the axle with backing plate on the drum as the brake line will not allow the assembly to reach the floor. slide out the inner axle and with a hook drag out the seal. a friend may be required to help lift the assembly back in place as it weighs a fair bit and monkeying is required to get every thing lined up. probably not the way it should be done but works for me.
.............................. use it ...............
bill monahan
CPL
CPL

Post by bill monahan »

Thanks, just what I needed. Some positive encouragement. I'm not afraid to get dirty either. (yeah, I do my own laundry)
Gerry
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Gerry »

Bill,
Before you tear it down make sure its the differential oil thats leaking not the grease in the joint seperating and the thin oil leaking out. It is an easy job to tear down. I followed the manual and had no problems.
Gerry

53 M37
pwrwagonfire
SSGT
SSGT

Post by pwrwagonfire »

I did the front seals on my truck...it wasn't hard enough for me to shy away from doing it again.

Taking the front hubs and axles out gives you an opportunity to check the steering knuckles, and re-pack the bearings. I'd say go for it!
I know that you WILL NEED a slide hammer to get the old seal out (believe it or not one of my seals was not there.).

Here are a couple of pictures of mine in during the installation.

bill monahan
CPL
CPL

Post by bill monahan »

Thanks pwrwagonfire, pix help a lot. Guess it's time to order these seals and other parts needed. Hope I don't run into any surprises when I get in there.
pwrwagonfire
SSGT
SSGT

Post by pwrwagonfire »

bill monahan wrote:Thanks pwrwagonfire, pix help a lot. Guess it's time to order these seals and other parts needed. Hope I don't run into any surprises when I get in there.
Happy to help! Good luck, we'll be waiting to hear about your results!