Brake adjustment

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Gerry
MSGT
MSGT

Brake adjustment

Post by Gerry »

I am ready to do a brake adjustment on my truck. Everything is new except the drums which where trailer drums turned with the hubs. I did a search and couldnt find alternate way than what the manual gives. I cant see through the adjusting slot and assume the window they manual talks about are not on these drums.
Thanks for your time.
Gerry

53 M37
jimmy_stikx
SGT
SGT

Re: Brake adjustment

Post by jimmy_stikx »

There's an adjusting slot? I either over looked that or I'm in the same boat. I did mine by feel.
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

On the stock M37 drums there is an access slot that is used for a feeler gage to set clearance between the drum and each shoe at top and bottom. I do not beleive that slot is on the M101 drums because it is a parking brake. You can "adjust by feel", but the issue will be that you will have uneven engagement and wear on the shoes, and each wheel grabbing differently. I don't think there is any other way though if you have no slots IMHO. :)
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

I always adjust by feel. I start the proses with one wheel jacked, loosen off the cam adjuster lock nuts then point the arrows on the cams so they point at each other 3 and 9 o'clock. next i bring the top of the shoes in all the way by way of the top adjusters. with the top of the shoe in I then turn the cams towards 6 O'clock with the wheel spinning till i hear a slight drag then back off a smidgen . (usually the drag appears with the cam arrows pointing at 4 and 8). next i tighten the cam adjuster bolts and move on to the top adjusters, with the wheel spinning i bring the top of the shoe out till it drag's then back off a bit. repeat on all wheels then check the pedal height. if the pedal is low (assuming the mc rod is adjusted properly) I increase the drag evenly on all wheels till the desired pedal height is reached.
.............................. use it ...............
Gerry
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Gerry »

Thanks for the info. Sounds easy enough.
Gerry

53 M37
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

RMS wrote: (usually the drag appears with the cam arrows pointing at 4 and 8).
:? :? :? ........ 4 and 8).......:lol: :lol: :lol:

Doh! should have put a space between the 8 and )
.............................. use it ...............