looking for help

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

vinnytruck
SGT
SGT

looking for help

Post by vinnytruck »

Hi Guys, this goes to anybody in N.J. I have finally came to a stump in the road. I am under a tight time line to do this truck. I need this M running. it only runs when the fording pull is 1/4 to 1/2 pulled. Will not stay on anyother time. THIS is what I need: If anyone in NJ can make a trip to me and help with putting this truck on the road (for reasonable pay) then I can carry as planned. I cant do anything else until I get it running right. (timeline aprox. 1 month) So I am putting this out before I go to a regular shop. (central NJ) ANY TAKERS!!! Please PM me, thanks vinnytruck
vinnytruck
jimmy_stikx
SGT
SGT

Re: looking for help

Post by jimmy_stikx »

What else have you done? Do you know when last the carb was rebuilt? Is the fuel line gummed with crud, how about the pickup in the tank? Have you changed the fuel filters recently?

Work cheapest to most expensive. I'd come up and check, but 2k+ miles is a ways to go on a weekend.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Yo Vinny.....sorry, I just like saying that......I would think that with the collective knowledge on this forum we could get you running right without having to get somebody to pay you a visit. If I were still living in NJ I'd swing by no sweat, but I'm a bit further away now. :D

So it sounds like your M will only run when you pull out the throttle lever (fording control) somewhat, right? That means you have spark and she's getting some fuel. How about a little history......did the truck run fine last year...or ever? What's been done to the fuel system.....carb rebuilt....fuel pump rebuilt.....tank cleaned......anything? Fuel filter been cleaned? What exactly have you been messing with up there in Jersey? :mrgreen:

regards,
bob
vinnytruck
SGT
SGT

Post by vinnytruck »

Hi BoB, Its cousin Vinny...All fuel items have been taken care (new) of except the carb. All brakes are done,lines and drums,master, 2 new tops, working on wood now, seats done,doors done,tires in great shape, changed hood W/hold downs, now attempting to start correctly. I would really like to overcome this but its out of my league. Painting is waiting for the start-up. Maybe I am doing something wrong...vinnytruck
vinnytruck
bill monahan
CPL
CPL

Post by bill monahan »

Hey Vinny, Middletown NJ here. Not sure if I can help but pretty mechanically inclined. Where are you in NJ ?
jimmy_stikx
SGT
SGT

Post by jimmy_stikx »

Have you adjusted the timing advance at all? Mine with a civy distro runs about perfect with the advance all the way to the lower 10 on the tang of the dizzy. I know that shouldn't be, but I haven't put the vacuum advance back in yet.
vinnytruck
SGT
SGT

Post by vinnytruck »

Hi Bill M, thanks for the responce, Marlboro NJ 20 mins away maybe, I didnt know there was a M so close... want the offer? thanks vinnytruck
vinnytruck
bill monahan
CPL
CPL

Post by bill monahan »

Gotta make a run to Delaware tomorrow but free most any day thereafter. Not a problem running down to Marlboro, give me a call
Last edited by bill monahan on Wed May 29, 2013 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bill monahan
CPL
CPL

Post by bill monahan »

BTW, I don't expect any pay. Just want to help.
vinnytruck
SGT
SGT

Post by vinnytruck »

Thanks Bill, will call soon. vinnytruck
vinnytruck
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Vinny,

As I think someone said in a previous post....."new" doesn't always mean "good". Not trying to rattle your cage or anything, but fuel pumps can be rebuilt wrong, or have a bad diaphragm even though it's new. Did you pump the hand primer on the pump to see if you were getting fuel to the carb? I'd just check that before tearing the carb apart. :D

regards,
bob
vinnytruck
SGT
SGT

Post by vinnytruck »

Hey Bob, I think the pump is working, I did that 2 weeks ago and saw a puddle in the elbow, so I think it is pumping, thanks for all your help and your future helpings. Please keep trying I want this done or I need this done...vinnytruck P.S. I will try anything to get this on the road I hate to give it to a shop when my son and I are suppose to work on it together. Next month I can tell all.
vinnytruck
jimmy_stikx
SGT
SGT

Post by jimmy_stikx »

The elbow flooding seems odd. go through a full description of what's going on, heck even posting a video on youtube/ or your favorite video/picture host might help us diagnose your engine.

But the fuel thing almost sounds like a loose screw holding the carb together, or a disintegrated gasket, to me anyways.
vinnytruck
SGT
SGT

Post by vinnytruck »

WELL GUYS... GUESS WHAT!!! THE TRUCK IS RUNNING, STAYING RUNNING, ANDDDDDDDDDD DRIVING!!!!!!!! I CANT WAIT TO TELL JOE, HE IS BACK FROM SCHOOL AT 3pm. MANY, MANY,MANY THANKS TO BILL MON. He said he will try and came thru. A nice guy also. I found a friend and told him our "Ms" can go on a date together soon, I just have to spruce her up. Well guys happiness sometimes comes in large packages too. The M is running. I think the term was idle screw, bill set it and saved the day. Pictures will follow, I will keep you posted, heck, I guess this forum should get some credit also. THANK YOU EVERYBODY...vinnytruck
vinnytruck