MM's M37 Pics as Promised

Talk about your truck here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

Re: MM's M37 Pics as Promised

Post by Wayne64 »

MM, What can I say, what you have turned your M37 into is fantastic. The lines you created both stay looking military and the well thought out functionality makes it work for you. My hat is off to you on this one. You do realize many questions are to follow. Maybe not to copy it but just to see how certain issues were handled.
First question; did you first a fix the cab to the bed box as a unit? And how?
MY Life Past and Present
http://crayonmedia.com/wayne/
PWRWGN NJ
PVT
PVT

Post by PWRWGN NJ »

Love the way the truck turned out! One question though: Did those mirrors come on the truck when you got it, or did you add them? Also, do you happen to know the part # for the Donaldson Air Filter assy. that you used?
ausb1
PFC
PFC

Post by ausb1 »

MM was your truck right hand when you bought it? did you use the original box ? i started converting my years ago with the intention of flipping over the box and using a bracket which your appears to have
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

I just picked up on the fact that its a 4 seater. Are the hatches on the sides covers for windows?
Where will the bunks go?
Tim
Happiness is enjoying what you already have!
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

Hmmmm, I have been slow on replies huh??

Wayne, the cab and rear are indeed fixed that does cause a few little creaks but I have yet to finish bracing the lower cab to the bed tray, when I got the truck someone had cut the tray and cab to make it walkthrough but had used pop rivets, I will be framing and bolting it for body rigidirt and making the cab mount springs a little looser to allow for movement and chassis flex.

NJ, mirrors are just cut down westcoasters fotted for better side visibility when backing and on the highway so I have no blind spots, they do however give you minor blindspots in front of where they sit, sorry, no part# on the Donaldson but it's an 8" filter and 3" inlets and outlets, industrial engine size I think?? (don't quote me on that please)

AusB1, I am still in the process of the changeover, if I can get the bits I want to make it happen you will be welcome to the box I have bearing in mind it needs a bushing and segent but if your steering box is nice then I can send you the whole assembly to make a good one from 2 or alternately once completed the power steering will be documented so "us here" right hand drive outcasts of the world can complete the conversion and be happy :wink:

Tim, 4 seater, yes, side hatches will have glass in them one day and bunks, only plans for a single flipdown bunk at present so I can go to events without dragging Ann and the kids along needlessly but we are cool with tents when the need arises, the Ammo trailer may well get a set of Bunks in it so we can all bed up in there if the weather is inclement enough to warrant not using a tent.
Hopefully this answers a few questions...

MM :)
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

wow what a job. Now I'm confused. Was this a pickup or was it an ambulance. I love that back end. Gives it that special forces look. nice job. Are you doing more on it?
Don't procrasinate! Do it now!
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

Thanks.....
It was actually the pickup body converted into a home-made tow truck when I bought it which I then converted back to the wooden top wagon body that I tracked down, I then felt it unsafe to have a lightly steel framed wooden body so I ripped all that off and went from there and started building, the body is not 100% straight and is even bent in one section where I leaned it on a tree but for the most part it looks good. I have rear seats in it and a dividing wall frame, next job (apart from replacing the broken axle :? ) is to get that dividing wall finished in steel on one side so I can make 100% sure all tools and heavyweight items are separated from the front passenger section in case of an accident, it'll also double as part of the body's stiffening structure if I ever am unfortunate enough to roll the truck. Fitting the thing out would be the next thing on the list, cupboards, storage nooks, insulation, wiring for equipment and the equipment itself, all takes time but until the axle is fixed and tyres are replaced not much else will be done and I am hesitant to drive it any distance at all on the rubber that's on there.

MM :D
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

Very cool. Can't wait to see progress pictures.
Don't procrasinate! Do it now!
ODUSAOK
PVT
PVT

Post by ODUSAOK »

Greetings There Monkey Man,
Was perusing the tech area and stumbled onto your pictures link.Thank you for posting them.
Your truck looks fabulous! The time,trouble,and injuries,have resulted in a very unique yet factory-made-appearance rig.
I was reading your steering linkage inquiries the other night,(sorry,no input or suggestions concerning fitment there)and the pictures tell quite a fabrication story.
Although I was unaware,I'm glad to hear you're getting over the health hurdles currently.Life's hard enough when you're feeling decent.I hope you're squared away to get out in that fine truck and enjoy yourself as you have planned.
Best of luck to you,God Bless,Chris.

P.S. Some years ago,the firearms/militaria outfit Cheaper Than Dirt was selling those vin cans,for around $14 as I recall.They came in two types,a cut down "rounder" U.S. style can,and a cut down "squarer" NATO style can.I haven't seen them available for awhile now.I use mine to tote Sangria to parties occasionally.(Still food grade).Super-Vin I guess you could call it.
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

Thanks for that, I feel pretty good overall now, tablets are working and the dose is in the balancing stage now so hopefully there is a happy medium soon, time will tell.
The steering upgrade will go ahead, just a matter of time now, I'll find the parts and get something happening before too long but rear axle first, no point in putting power steering on a truck that goes nowhere :wink:
The body is mostly finished but not quite, not sure how to finish it in a manner I'll be happy with but I am sure it'll come to me soon enough, the Wine cans are a bonus as I can have one on each side and lose no vision as they are low profile, I can't imagine if some sentimental ex-service Frenchman takes a swig from one, he'll be supercharged for a while for sure as I keep 95 Octane fuel in there :lol:

MM :D
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
52PLOWERWAGON
SFC
SFC

Post by 52PLOWERWAGON »

wow I am Impressed! any updates?

did you keep the stock bellhousing ?

amazing :D 8) :mrgreen:
Thanks,TRAVIS
When it comes to gambling I don't play the Powerball, I play the Powerwagon

1952 M37 FARM TRUCK
230 W/THRUSH EXHAUST, DELETED HEAT RISER AND 12 VOLT IGNITION

1941 WC RATROD
w/ 5 TON MULTIFUEL TURBO DIESEL
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

G'day Travis....
Yes, the flywheel, clutch and bell housing are all stock components although the bell housing had a few little mods to make it fit up to the V8 (I also have a 5/8" adapter plate sandwiched in there, I think? I have the pics of the conversion uploaded to here somewhere.
Updates, no sadly, Still recovering from being unwell but well on the way to getting there now so hopefully soon I can get stuck back into it.

MM

"edit" - I found this archived on my old server space.....

http://dodgem37.customer.netspace.net.a ... ersion.zip
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
52PLOWERWAGON
SFC
SFC

Post by 52PLOWERWAGON »

wow impressive pics :D

looked through some will look at others later
Thanks,TRAVIS
When it comes to gambling I don't play the Powerball, I play the Powerwagon

1952 M37 FARM TRUCK
230 W/THRUSH EXHAUST, DELETED HEAT RISER AND 12 VOLT IGNITION

1941 WC RATROD
w/ 5 TON MULTIFUEL TURBO DIESEL
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

Monkey Man wrote:G'day Travis....
Yes, the flywheel, clutch and bell housing are all stock components although the bell housing had a few little mods to make it fit up to the V8 (I also have a 5/8" adapter plate sandwiched in there, I think? I have the pics of the conversion uploaded to here somewhere.
Updates, no sadly, Still recovering from being unwell but well on the way to getting there now so hopefully soon I can get stuck back into it.

MM

Tony, You are the man!
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

m-37Bruce wrote:
Monkey Man wrote:G'day Travis....

MM

Tony, You are the man!
Thanks for the compliment but I am not that good Bruce, I simply used what was there and there have been far superior engine conversions over the time to put mine to shame. I learned this method from Dad who was into dune buggy racing and as a result cramming odd engines on various drive-trains was a way of life.
I like stock standard as a rule, but when your engine dies from old-age and the repair cost is 3x the conversion cost you tend to go with whatever you can afford.

MM
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au