Help, Kubota diesel engine generator

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

T.R.
PVT
PVT

Help, Kubota diesel engine generator

Post by T.R. »

I know that this is not M37 related but can someone help. I have a Kubota GL5500S diesel generator with the two cylinder ZB600-GL-S engine, 10 HP, 31 cu. in., water cooled 4 cycle engine that has been sitting for 5 years, I cleaned the fuel tank, replaced the fuel filter, replaced the battery, did an oil change with filter, drained and refilled the cooling system. How can I preoil the engine I do not want to start the engine dry. Any thoughts on waking this engine up.
Thanks for any advice.
Regards T.R.
skinnedknuckles
CPL
CPL

Re: Help, Kubota diesel engine generator

Post by skinnedknuckles »

Does it have an external fuel shut off solenoid with an arm attached separate from the throttle but in the same area ( all it does is move the rack to shut off the fuel past the injection pump plungers) ? It may also be a small solenoid on the side of the injection pump area without any external linkage. If it does you could unplug it and spin the engine over until you have good oil pressure.
Paul in Janesville, Wisconsin
1953 m37 parts truck
1961 m37b1 finally going together and turning green
and a bunch of other green trucks that are taking over my driveway
MVPA and MVPG member
T.R.
PVT
PVT

Post by T.R. »

Thanks for the reply, I have no experience with diesel engines, I will look at the engine today and see what kind of shut-off it has. Is the idea to turn off the fuel after the fuel pump so that no fuel gets to the engine. In a gas engine I would remove the spark plugs and then spin the engine with no compression load can this be done in some way with a diesel.
Thanks T.R.
WarrenD
SSGT
SSGT

Post by WarrenD »

With a diesel, the only way you can spin the engine without it starting is to shut off the fuel. You might be able to spin it some if you don't energize the glow plugs but if enough heat builds up, it might start.
T.R.
PVT
PVT

Post by T.R. »

Thanks for the help, the engine does have an external selenoid and arm attached that I was able to hold in the off position while I cranked the engine, the oil pressure light went off so I should have oil pressure. Tomorrow will get new fuel and try to start the engine. Any recommendations on fuel additives so the fuel does not go bad sitting in the generator for long periods of time or gel in the cold weather. Also the manual calls for no.2 D fuel is that the same as home heating oil or is it the fuel you buy at the pumps. Thanks!
T.R.
WarrenD
SSGT
SSGT

Post by WarrenD »

In general, home heating oil is the same as truck diesel without the highway taxes. I prefer running truck diesel in the generator I have at work, it's what the manufacturer recommends.
Tuko
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Tuko »

#2 is what you buy at the pumps, try the stanadyne line of products for an additive

http://www.stanadyne.com/view.php?id=74
51 Dodge M37 W/W 4BT/NV4500

My G741 Registry Entry
skinnedknuckles
CPL
CPL

Post by skinnedknuckles »

I use a product called Power Service supplement in the mobile equipment that we are using during the winter. And for the main tanks here at the shop I use Schaeffer Diesel treat 2000 to keep the nasties in control. For my Dodge with the Cummins, when I go North to go snowmobiling I use Power Service Arctic ( kind of hard to find but I have a local supplier). Power Service also makes 911 to help with emergency gelling issues after the fact http://www.powerservice.com
Paul in Janesville, Wisconsin
1953 m37 parts truck
1961 m37b1 finally going together and turning green
and a bunch of other green trucks that are taking over my driveway
MVPA and MVPG member
T.R.
PVT
PVT

Post by T.R. »

Thanks for the information on the fuel additives. I tried to start the generator on Friday no luck and did a search on the internet and found that the fuel line at the injector pump and injectors has to be bled after changing the fuel filter, after bleding the system and replacing the idle selenoid fuse the generator started and ran like new.
T.R.