Parts on the way!

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

MarkPick
CPL
CPL

Parts on the way!

Post by MarkPick »

The beast made a small trip the other day, about 10 miles one way just to see what would happen. Everything went well with the exception of a lot of the spit and sputter on an up hill grade. Spoke to Larry about it and from what he explained i guess I got on the rpm's into the red a bit too much.( thanks for the info Larry) Not to mention the oil leaks that happened. ( I know none of you guys have oil leaks :D . But it was one fun trip! I love this truck!

So now the parts list that is on order, now taking the safety and dependability route. Gasket kit for the engine. I got the whole kit because I dont know exactly were all the leaks are coming from. I will start with the fuel pump, oil pan and the oil tubes. New sealed beams, it was fun driving once both of them went out. Electronic fuel pump. Yes, I read the post both pro and con and hope not to offend any with the choice. Electronic ignition ordered, again sorry guys, I read both the pros and cons and I think this is best for what I am planning to do with the rig. little future planning, I ordered a heater, the one that fits under the glove box. There was a lot of info on this site about different set up and heaters others have used, thanks to all how posted the info.
So with all this ordered I am sure I will have questions.

Now, for all of those who have served and stood the line for our freedom and continued Independence, THANK YOU! I am proud to be a part of that group! Enjoy the Independence you help secure. Mark
USAF Retired
Desert Storm
Iraqi Freedom
ZGjethro
SFC
SFC

Re: Parts on the way!

Post by ZGjethro »

When I got my M37, It was in no condition to rev too high. I had M-series rebuild do a Pertronix electronic ignition and rebuild my carb, and it runs awesomely now. I have a few leaks, from the front of my motor, but I have not fixed them yet. Have you got any links for the sealed beam lights? My original ones are pretty yellow.
MarkPick
CPL
CPL

Post by MarkPick »

I have a couple of sites I have found, as always shop around for the best price. Here are a few.
http://www.midwestjeepwillys.com/dodge_m37_parts.html
http://www.vintagepowerwagons.com/produ ... -parts.htm
http://www.midwestmilitary.net/m37p11.html
Those should get you started and as always with the internet they will lead to more.
Local parts stores have some difficulty in finding parts due to the M37's not being in their computers. Even with a cross reference number they still get a little irritable. I gave up on them and just decided to be patient and order on line and save myself the hassle.

Hope this helps.
Mark
USAF Retired
Desert Storm
Iraqi Freedom
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Congratulations Mark! I remember my first short trip, very similar to yours, but mine had a balky starter, carb, and just about everything else which has since been repaired or replaced. I recommend keeping a journal of all your work as you move forward because believe me, you will tend to forget what you fixed and/or replaced earlier (in my case, back to 2004).... I still have all of my receipts too.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
MarkPick
CPL
CPL

Post by MarkPick »

Thanks Gary,
I will take your advice on the journal. I know from a process of elimination trouble shooting stance they can really come in handy.
As for the trip, it had been a long time since I was thinking, ok if this thing stalls out where am I gonna pull over at, what tools do I have and how am I gonna get it home. You know that knot you get in your stomach when things dont go according to plan? But at the same time you gotta love a challenge.

Sealed beams and gaskets arrived today, looks like its time to plug in the fan in the garage and get dirty.
USAF Retired
Desert Storm
Iraqi Freedom
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Yep, I know that feeling too, and travel the side roads whenever possible. I carry a Craftsman folding tool kit under the passenger seat, and the BFH, donkey d***, cheater pipe and lug wrench in the bed storage box. Jumper cables and tow chains are under my driver's seat, too, and my fire extinguisher is right behind my seat in the cab corner. Spare tire and First Aid kit also on duty at their designated positions, but my best friend in these trips is my cell phone in case I have to call a tow truck (not that I've made very many trips recently-still need to order new brake shoes). I also have a PRC77 pack radio but haven't made contact with anyone who can answer me on it.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MarkPick
CPL
CPL

Post by MarkPick »

Yep Gary, I am putting the tool kit together myself. Well this week I did my first real BONE HEAD mistake (where the M37 is concerned) It seams when you order a heater for the M 151 you need to make sure it says heater KIT and not just heater. What a dummy I felt like opening the box and thinking, where is the rest? I even went back to the site I ordered it from and yep, states clear as day, HEATER, not Heater kit.
So now I will have to figure out what parts I need or just bite the bullet and order the KIT and consider it a lesson well learned.
USAF Retired
Desert Storm
Iraqi Freedom
Brent Newdick
PVT
PVT

Post by Brent Newdick »

Very interesting topic and post here. My uncle was looking for M37 parts and I hope that I'm in the right place. He's looking for affordable one because the auto parts shop near our place seems to overcharge him whenever he wants to buy a part. I volunteered to help him out because it might save him a few bucks. We saw the sites that was posted here and it seems that he is interested at the products. Was that a fix price for all parts?
M37 Truck
M37 Enthusiast
Lovin' auto parts warehouse-like parts
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Hi Brent,
I couldn't determine exactly what parts you need, but there are a number of M37 vendors out there. Some of my top vendors (and friends I met at MV swap meets and conventions) are John Bizal at Midwest Military, Antelope Valley Truck, Adirondack Dodge, and Steve at Vintage Power Wagons. All have M37 parts. We also buy, sell and barter parts between forum members here, and I recommend posting your needs in the Swap Meet section and wait for some replies before hitting up the vendors.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W