NOT CHANRING

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

8543bob
SSGT
SSGT

NOT CHANRING

Post by 8543bob »

I was able to put a multi meter to my M and determined that the gen/voltage reg is not putting out. 24.85 volts eng/ign off.
23.63 volts eng running at about 1200-1500 rpm's. If I remember correctly, from my younger days, the voltage reg has points under the cover, they used to stick. My question: should I even bother messing with the existing system or replace it with a 24V single wire delco?? I can pick up the delco for a shade over $100. Your thoughs and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
BOB
Carter
1SG
1SG

Re: NOT CHANRING

Post by Carter »

That depends on if you want to stay with the orig. military look or not.
Carter
Life Member:
Delta, Peach Bottom Fish & Game Assn.
RMS
MSGT
MSGT

Post by RMS »

if you don't care about getting full marks at a concours event, or hearing some one talk out there nose that its not stock. go with the modern set up.
iv been running a 24V 100amp one wire out of a Case loader for 6yr. got rid of a lot of weight, my spark is blue not orange and the head lights are no longer like candles in jam jars..... more like two or three candles in a jam jar. however if you do change to a modern alt, pleas paint it, mv's should not have chrome or silver. :P
.............................. use it ...............
8543bob
SSGT
SSGT

Post by 8543bob »

THANKS FOR THE THOUGHTS; I already altered some engine room components, elect fuel pump, elect wipers. so a single wire delco is what I had in mind.
THANKS
BOB
M37UK
SSGT
SSGT

Post by M37UK »

8543bob wrote:THANKS FOR THE THOUGHTS; I already altered some engine room components, elect fuel pump, elect wipers. so a single wire delco is what I had in mind.
THANKS
BOB

You wont regret fitting a single wire Delco Bob
I've had mine for a couple of years now and it works great, starts charging at low rpm and is so easy to wire up.

Stu
Stu

1952 Dodge M37 with 1952 M101 Trailer
MVT UK
SMVG Scotland
8543bob
SSGT
SSGT

Post by 8543bob »

GOOD MORNING,
I got my single wire delco installed yesterday. She lined up pretty good using the existing lower gen mounts; a threaded rod thru both mounts, shaved a bit off the alternator case, and shaved a little off the adjusting bracket and got volts!!! Dontknow what to do about the alt pulley. Do they sell a pulley that accepts the original wider M37 belt?? but right now shes useable; just have to keep a 1/2 wrench handy incase I jump the belt.
BOB