Painting wood?

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

Painting wood?

Post by Wayne64 »

I'm a bit away from the troop seats and side boards. I plan on painting the oak and use the same paint as the truck (Gillispe enamel) and was wondering if I should first coat the boards with linseed oil, then paint. Any suggestions?
Thanks much
MY Life Past and Present
http://crayonmedia.com/wayne/
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Re: Painting wood?

Post by w30bob »

Wayne......I'm no professional painter, but I don't think putting any type of oil on the wood prior to painting is a good thing to do. For best adhesion of the paint to the wood you want it clean and dry, and not sanded too fine. Paint will not stick to oil. It's also important that the wood be dry. I'd call the paint supplier and ask for recommendations on how to prep the wood for paint, including what to use to seal the wood prior to painting. Just my 2 cents.

regards,
bob
Rusty1340
PFC
PFC

Post by Rusty1340 »

No oil if you want the pain to stick I agree with Bob
MVPA #32564
WAC/B&G MVT
Patriot Guard Riders
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
WarrenD
SSGT
SSGT

Post by WarrenD »

Find a good primer that is compatible with the paint you are using.
Sal
SFC
SFC

Post by Sal »

Wayne. If your using white oak for your seats and back boards I wouldn't use any type of wood preservative (linseed oil) on it. White oak is water and rot resistant by nature. All I would do is sand it and paint it, There are better wood preservatives out there then boiled linseed...

Sal
:mrgreen:
1954 M37 WO/W
1969 M101A1
1967 M416
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

Probably the best advice you can get on this question would come from Gillespie. Call them
or email them and get a slice of their expertise.
Member: Arizona Military Vehicle Collector's Club, Treasurer.
Past Pres
Member: MVPA #26600
Member: NRA
‘43 GPW, '53 M37 W/W, ‘54 M170 Field Ambulance,
59 M43, '76 M151A2, '86 CUCV,
'43 GPW, 416 & 101 trailers.
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Prime and paint the boards. Sand the board till they are smooth but not to smooth (100-150 grit is good). Clean them and primer and paint then enjoy.
M37s are HMMWV in my world!
m15256
CPL
CPL

Post by m15256 »

I worked on wooden boats for many years. With metal you are asking the paint to adhere to the cleaned prepared surface. With wood you are asking the paint to adhere to a very porous surface. The primer coats should be thinned to allow this to happen. Wood will absorb much more paint trough the end grain than the sides. I suggest you find a primer/sealer or sanding/sealer specifically formulated for wood at a marine paint store. The top coat can be anything else you use on the truck. White oak is certainly more rot resistant than some other species of wood. It will start to rot at any place where it remains wet and cannot dry. Cedar is more rot resistant but is not as durable with regard to physical wear. A number of tropical hard woods are both durable and rot resistant.
RICK
M 152 CDN
M 56 (V41)
hbb
SSGT
SSGT

Post by hbb »

There has been a product out on the market for a while ! it is a vinyl board that Is used in newer stock trucks and many other uses that handles the moisture, wear and tear. This product can be cut,edged and drilled just like wood and will take paint and hold up great in all weather conditions with no war-page, it looks just like wood,but is stronger than wood. I know that most purists will prefer wood but if your going to cover the boards with paint why not look into this and eliminate the splinters in you ass,hands and will out last your truck.
I believe this stuff is can be found at the lumber yards.

Just a thought :idea:
hb
The wiseman who listens to his students stays a wise MAN!
Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Wayne64 »

hb wrote:There has been a product out on the market for a while ! it is a vinyl board that Is used in newer stock trucks and many other uses that handles the moisture, wear and tear. This product can be cut,edged and drilled just like wood and will take paint and hold up great in all weather conditions with no war-page, it looks just like wood,but is stronger than wood. I know that most purists will prefer wood but if your going to cover the boards with paint why not look into this and eliminate the splinters in you ass,hands and will out last your truck.
I believe this stuff is can be found at the lumber yards.

Just a thought :idea:
hb
I good thought and one I also had a while back. Are you referring to the wood composite decking material? Or is there another product out there someone knows of?
MY Life Past and Present
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

Chiming in on HB"S suggestion. Yes it's a composite material available at all the major suppliers like Home Depot
and Lowes. Probably also at Tru-value and Ace. it's a bit expensive but will probably outlast you and me.
JB
Member: Arizona Military Vehicle Collector's Club, Treasurer.
Past Pres
Member: MVPA #26600
Member: NRA
‘43 GPW, '53 M37 W/W, ‘54 M170 Field Ambulance,
59 M43, '76 M151A2, '86 CUCV,
'43 GPW, 416 & 101 trailers.
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

The problem with composite is the board size. You would have to mill it to the correct size of the board for the M37. I think the composite is larger. Now another alternative would be to get boards from either a HMMWV or even a duce that has the new fiberglass (plastic) boards that the Army is now using. They are really nice, light weight already OD Green and everything.
hbb
SSGT
SSGT

Post by hbb »

Wayne the product I was talking about is used on the newer military/civilian trucks,but it is also the same material that is used on decking and a plethora of other things. The boards are available many sizes and widths that could be ripped and milled if needed at the lumber yard/Home Depot ,but I think you would be able to get the size you needed or close to it then you could router and shape the edges to match the originals. They will last for ever as JB noted. I believe they are available in smooth and wood grain surfaces in several colors. :wink:

hb
The wiseman who listens to his students stays a wise MAN!
Wayne64
SSGT
SSGT

Post by Wayne64 »

Stopped by my local lumber yard today. The typical composite decking material would be a poor choice because of the lack support in our truck usage. I have installed a few decks and my own is a pure plastic product, (Eon) and instead of 16" centers my stringers are 12" on center. At the yard we talked about warpage and paint crackage, both could be an issue. Before I make my decision I will check with a good paint supplier and if I can get a close color match with a high solids stain I will use 5/4 pressure treated clear pine decking and not look back. I hate working with wood yet know my way around my table saw and router table. Now if I was younger with big $$$$ I guess I would teach myself how to manufacture them out of carbon fiber :lol:
MY Life Past and Present
k8icu
1SG
1SG

Post by k8icu »

Original boards where made out of oak. They were primered and painted. Much like you would any other wood used outside. A good oilbased primer and exterior paint color matched to your truck color would work great. You can even get it in flat or semi-gloss.

I wouldn't use pine. I would use oak or ash for the durability.

Another option would be to get troop seats off of s Duce or 5-ton and cut them down to work on the Dodge. You might be able to get some good boards for cheep.