Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

Tim Powell
MSGT
MSGT

Remove Paint From Rubber?

Post by Tim Powell »

Hey Crew.
Anybody have a tip on how to remove the paint from my window gaskets?? Who ever painted the truck yellow painted the front windows closed. I'd like to try and save the window gaskets. Running out of time I'm afraid. (and $$$)
Also my Buddy needs a set of rear blackout lights for a 1946 Jeep.
Tim & Lori Powell
1952 Dodge M-37
1968 M101A1 Cargo Trailer
2011 F350 Ford Flatbed
MC-A1 Air Compressor Unit
Military Tank APU

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil
is that good men do nothing."
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Re: Remove Paint From Rubber?

Post by w30bob »

Hi Tim,

A few things come to mind, but it depends on the condition of the rubber. If it's hard as a rock try some lacquer thinner on a rag. Depending on the type of rubber the lacquer thinner might also start to dissolve the rubber........so go slow and easy to start. If the rubber is still soft and pliable try flexing the rubber to make the paint crack off. A more tedious method would be to scrape it off with a razor blade, keeping the blade near perpendicular to the rubber surface so it doesn't dig in.

Now if you're trying to remove both the paint on the rubber and the paint on the window frame the easiest way would be to mask the glass with a high quality duct tape and glass bead or sandblast both the rubber and the metal frame. The blasting won't hurt the rubber (if it's remotely soft) and will take the paint off both surfaces quickly. Again, start slow with low pressure and see how the rubber reacts.

Those are the ideas off the top of my head right now, I'm sure others will other maybe better ones.

regards,
bob
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

Brake fluid would also be an option-softens the paint but doesn't eat up the rubber.
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
Tim Powell
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Tim Powell »

Hey Crew!!
I want to thank you all for all the great suggestions!! I used bits and pieces of everyone's ideas!! I wiped some diesel fuel on the gaskets of one frame last night. This morning I carefully scraped (pulled the scraper backwards) the oiled gasket. I carried the frame next door and fired up their "Hotsy" power-washer (not quite steam but really close) and blew the yellow paint off the rubber and most of the frame as well!!
I need to start getting ready to leave for my week on the road starting tomorrow, but will be next door next week with the rest of my window parts!! I'll post a few pictures on the last page of my photo album!! Happy-Tim! :D
Tim & Lori Powell
1952 Dodge M-37
1968 M101A1 Cargo Trailer
2011 F350 Ford Flatbed
MC-A1 Air Compressor Unit
Military Tank APU

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil
is that good men do nothing."
ODUSAOK
PVT
PVT

Post by ODUSAOK »

Greetings Folks,
I was going to make a suggestion based on a method I had just used today,(and was going to post as well),and CalGary beat me to it.Yes I will confirm that brake fluid works VERY well.I removed 5 layers of paint from my dash panel without removing the cadmium plating that I was trying to save.I put on very little with an acid brush,went to other items for an hour,and returned to the dash to find the paint bubbled up nicely,removable with rag and putty knife.It might be better than Zip Strip,and I didn't have any around anyway.It was my "field expedient",with what was at hand.I'm glad the windshield paint problem "went away".Chris.