Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

Ignition Filter Help

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

My '52 M37 didn't have an ignition filter mounted on the firewall when I got it. According to my S/N and the Production Numbers page it says I should, as the filter wasn't moved to the distributor until S/N 80027049, and my S/N is 80026562. What I do have are two holes in my firewall where the filter would normally go. I looked at an M37 at Sussex a few weeks ago and it had the filter mounted to a metal plate that mounted to the firewall. I assume that's what I need because I have two holes running diagonally below the top lipthat would be directly behind the filter and you'd have no way to access them. But when I looked at a '51 M37 in the woods near my house (S/N 80019914) it has the ignition filter actually screwed directly to the firewall (no bracket) on the upper lip.

Look at the pics below. The bare firewall with the numer 48 is mine. You can see the two holes (on a diagonal) in the number 48 where I guess the bracket should go that the filter bolts to. Then look at the pic of the '51 with the filter screwed directly to the firewall on top of the filter without a bracket behind it. I don't have those two holes in the upper lip of the firewall.

So was there a change made somewhere between the '51 (SN 80019914) and my '52 (SN 80026562)? I know this is anal, but I want to make sure I know what I'm asking for before I post in the Swap Meet forum to try to find a filter and mounting plate.

thanks,
bob

captain kirk
PFC
PFC

Re: Ignition Filter Help

Post by captain kirk »

My early model 51 is like yours, using the 2 holes that a bracket mounts to and the filter mounting to the bracket. Kirk
majorhitt
SGT
SGT

Post by majorhitt »

I think if you look closer you'll see that the filter in the bottom picture is mounted to a bracket. It's not much of a bracket, the four holes on the filter go to the bracket and the the two holes in your dash are what the bracket mounts to. I did check mine and it looks just like what you have pictured in the lower picture. If you're missing the bracket, it's not much to make one.
vtdeucedriver
SFC
SFC

Post by vtdeucedriver »

Major is correct. Your two top screws going across just mounts the filter to the bracket, there are 2 screws underneath that filter that hold the bracket to the firewall.
Chances are, if you find a filter, the bracket is with it. There not that hard to find unless you take your truck apart and loose it in the garage and then just bite the bullet and call ED (XM708) and have him pull one off his parts truck for ya so you can finish...............................not that I had to do this :D
Green Mountain Military Vehicle Club Army Transportation Association Vietnam

http://linehaulrvn.tripod.com
1951 M37
1954 M37
1953 M62
1967 M54A1C
1968 M54A2C
1968 M52A2
1966 M151A1
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi VT,

Thanks for the lead! I met Roberta (Flygirl) at Aberdeen this weekend and we got talking M37s. Her advice to me was if I ever needed any help with my M37 I should get in touch with you! But it seesm you found me first. :o) I'll get in touch with Ed to see if he has a filter and if not I'll just throw an add in the Swap Meet forum.

thanks again,
bob
majorhitt
SGT
SGT

Post by majorhitt »

Bob!! I was talking to Roberta about M37s. How did we not see each other?
vtdeucedriver
SFC
SFC

Post by vtdeucedriver »

One other note.................IF you guys put the filter back in to where its working (the military removed them for a reason). If your filter desides to break down internally, you will be stranded with no power to the distributor so carry a spare that works!!! Now "I" cheated and took the connectors out and ran a wire straight through from one connector to the other so it bypasses but yet looks like it has the filter installed.
Green Mountain Military Vehicle Club Army Transportation Association Vietnam

http://linehaulrvn.tripod.com
1951 M37
1954 M37
1953 M62
1967 M54A1C
1968 M54A2C
1968 M52A2
1966 M151A1
JBizal
CPL
CPL

Post by JBizal »

I have the bracket and NOS filters as well as the long cable from the filter to the distributor if anyone is interested.
John
MWM
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Thanks John. I'm makin' a list and will be calling you later today.

thanks,
bob