Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

w30bob
1SG
1SG

Swap Meet Question

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

I've never been to a military swap meet but I'm planning to go to the MTA show in NJ next week and then Aberdeen in May. I need to find seats for my M37, the metal frames that the springs attach to are rotted beyond repair. Are seats something I can expect to find at a military swap meet.....or should I just start calling the usual vendors? I realize no one can predict what vendors will bring to any given swap meet, so I'm just wondering if those types of parts are usually there....or if these swap meets are more about helmets, uniforms, etc?

thanks,
bob
vinnytruck
SGT
SGT

Re: Swap Meet Question

Post by vinnytruck »

Hey w30bob, my son and I will be there, hope to bump into you. It will be our first show also... VT
vinnytruck
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

VT,

That would be great. Maybe all of us on here who are going can get together at a set time and place at the show and just spend a minute or two introducing ourselves and saying hello. As of right now I'm planning to be there all day Saturday. Who else is planning on going to the show???

take care,
bob
vinnytruck
SGT
SGT

Post by vinnytruck »

w30bob, I will also be there on sat. hopefully ALL DAY, I think there will be lots to see, My son is looking to get a spot their next year to sell his dog tags. We will see how it gos and what they require. He has done other shows and is great at what his does. He also has a website. He wanted to do this and I helped him get the machines, he is a great kid, a boyscout almost eagle he has 5 machines to date. VT
vinnytruck
WarrenD
SSGT
SSGT

Post by WarrenD »

I'm hoping to be there Sat as well. I'll likely be spending some time in Nam display area with Bill. Look for a Deuce with a yellow nose, that's Bill's.
As for the question, you never really know what you find. I'd say there are many more vehicle parts than uniforms but it's a crap shoot for what you are looking for.
Bob Stahl is in MA and has tons of take off parts. I got a seat from him last fall. He doesn't do internet or e-mail so the only way to contact him is by phone, five-oh-eight--384--seven-six-nine-eight.
Cal_Gary

Post by Cal_Gary »

My swap meet advice would be to do a faster-paced walk of the area first to see what's available according to your priority list. If cash is no object, buy up your "must haves" first, again according to priority.

The seat frames you seek are something I've never seen at any of the Camp Delta/ Tower Park meets I've attended over the past several years, and also at two of the past three MVPA Nationals. Good luck with your search-it's one of my favorite parts of our hobby-finding those missing gems....
Gary
Cal_Gary
1954 M37 W/W
MVPA Correspondent #28500
skinnedknuckles
CPL
CPL

Post by skinnedknuckles »

Bob,
Yep, you never know what you will find. Just look high and low, tables and floors and ask questions to the guys that have any m-37 parts that you might see there - they might have one laying around at home. Don't for get the regular car show/swap meets, to some the army trucks and parts are just another old truck or part. We have a big car show swap meet this weekend near me in Jefferson, Wis and I go and like the last 25+ years I just look for any thing that catches my eye , I have come out of there with parts for both my civilian projects and my military ones
Paul in Janesville, Wisconsin
1953 m37 parts truck
1961 m37b1 finally going together and turning green
and a bunch of other green trucks that are taking over my driveway
MVPA and MVPG member
vinnytruck
SGT
SGT

Post by vinnytruck »

Vinnytruck here, Well guys it was great to see you all at the NJ show. It was my pleasure to meet you guys, after typing back and forth it nice to put a name and a face together.( A GREAT MEET) Hope to see you in MD. Got my paint, door seals,headlights- wish I could have found more stuff. Maybe MD. Keep up the good work. VT
vinnytruck
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

I was going to be in the convoy, but now it is going to a Saturday event for me.
I have a passenger seat template I can bring for any and all to copy, just need to have your own paper! I also have some other goodies, a pair of NOS 24 volt tail lights & restored doors (red & clear), a nearly complete bed (TO) OK to good condition, no tailgate.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Troll
PVT
PVT

Post by Troll »

If it is a military "vehicle" swap meet, you will find all kinds of things related to militia and trucks. Go and start asking for what you need. You will find a very unique group of folks that are serious about MV collecting. Word of mouth is always the longest path to finding parts. It requires patience and time. I have found this to be most rewarding. Talking to fellow collectors that have been in your shoes can almost overwhelm you with information and the knowledge you gain is unbeatable. I learned more about US military history from owning a Jeep than any school could teach. M37's are quite popular and someone has what you need. I asked for a few parts at one show and four months later I got them cheap because someone had them and brought them along just in case I showed up. You never know so don't be afraid to ask, you will get educated, and hooked on wanting more. Happy collecting.
w30bob
1SG
1SG

Post by w30bob »

Hi Guys,

Hi Guys,

The swap meet was EXCELLENT! Not because of the M37 parts......there were't many......but because of the people!!!! Great meeting Vinny and his family....awesome folks! And my hat's off to Ed Luksa for taking the time to answer my million questions and for the M37 parts!! he's just a great guy!

Troll.....you're 100% right.....word of mouth is the way to go! Almost all the stuff I bought came from people who asked me what I was working on or from those I asked if they had any M37 parts. I even met the author of the M37 Restoration Guide and picked his brain a bit. He's working on a reprint of the book on CD only, but he's a bit busy right now.....but stay tuned. Great vehicles, around 4 or 5 M37s, but no tanks. Nothing cooler than a tank, in my opinion! But the weather held and it was fun!! Definitely looking forward to Aberdeen!!

take care,
bob
vinnytruck
SGT
SGT

Post by vinnytruck »

TO W30bob, Thanks for the kind words...VT
vinnytruck