Shop Vise

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

hbb
SSGT
SSGT

Re: Shop Vise

Post by hbb »

Finding a quality vise for a reasonable price is all in being at the right place at the right time. I was lucky enough to dismantle a old car dealership years back and ended up with a couple of older Wilton 6" vises and several others that have no names but nice to have around,I also have found great deals at old estate auctions,flea markets,garage sales, neighbors,and just by asking around! heck I bought a great anvil (175 lbs) at a horse sale years back and that is one tool I couldn't be with out now. I have a vise on every bench and a small one on a old government issue desk in my shop and when you work alone you can never have enough hands to hold things.
I have fun with the hunt too.

hb
The wiseman who listens to his students stays a wise MAN!
HingsingM37
1SG
1SG

Post by HingsingM37 »

I just retrieved my dad's old Columbian vise from my mom's house. It is at least 50+ years old and is in great shape. The mounting base had the same bolt pattern as the one that was here in the garage when I moved in, so the old one may be a Columbia also?
I also picked up dad's old 1/2hp bench grinder. Nice to put dad's old tools to use and have those memories with me in the shop. I think of all I learned from pop everytime I use them. :D
David
HingsingM37
1958 M37B1
1968 M101A1 Trailer
MVPA# 33078

"Do Not Take Counsel of Your Fears"
General George S. Patton Jr.

"Those who pound their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not".
greencom
SGT
SGT

Post by greencom »

Carter wrote:Replaced a pre-civil war dated one (really) I was using with this one I found at a yard sale several years ago, $25 IIRC. Chinese but have had no trouble so far. Still have the very old one, just unmounted.

Carter,
I bought this same kind of vise new about 25 years ago for $50 and I have used it hard, I've even used a 2 foot extension on the handle and it's held up great so far. It is still tight with no slop in the jaws, even it it breaks tomorrow it was a great investment.
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

I HAVE EVEN THOUGHT OF MOUNTING A ROTATING ONE ON THE STEEL PLATE ABOVE THE BRADEN WINCH. FOR CERTAIN THINGS THAT NEED TO BE FIXED WHEN OUT IN THE STIX. JUST HAVE NOT FOUND THE RIGHT ONE YET. :)
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.
retiredguy
SGT
SGT

Post by retiredguy »

I've always liked the "Record" vice. But the other day my son tightened one up and snapped the jaw right off! I've never seen that. Must have been a bad casting. If not I'm not arguing with him again!
Don't procrasinate! Do it now!