fuel pump gasket

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

vinnytruck
SGT
SGT

fuel pump gasket

Post by vinnytruck »

Ok Guys, this is what I am up to: After long thinking, I am staying with my org. fuel pump. You know that big job with 2 sections. I am going to put it back on. ***does anyone know what NAPA gasket # to purchase??? thanks in advance, VT P.S. I wish I know how to put pictures up, but I dont, this is a kinda new adventure for me also.
vinnytruck
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Re: fuel pump gasket

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

You could have cut the gasket yourself from readily available gasket material in the time it took you to type the message looking for a source. That is the best answer, simply cut your own.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
vinnytruck
SGT
SGT

Post by vinnytruck »

Charles, I thought the gasket material is thinner than the real one. I can buy this material. Thanks so much for the info.
vinnytruck
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

vinnytruck wrote:Charles, I thought the gasket material is thinner than the real one. I can buy this material. Thanks so much for the info.
Gasket material is available in many different thicknesses. We just restocked some raw material last week in 1/64, 1/32, and 1/16 thickness. 1/64" thick is the one you need for a fuel pump installation. Any auto parts supplier should have this in stock. We use CarQuest, they have the VICTOR gasket product line.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

With the exception of head gaskets, I mostly make all of my own gaskets. Like Charles said, buy several different thicknesses of gasket material as
specified by him. That will pretty much cover anything you'll need. If you can, use the old gasket as a template. Cut new material carefully and use
hole punches. A cheap set of hole punches can be had from various sources like a Harbor Freight store or their online catalog. If you plan on doing
a LOT of gaskets do what I did and invest in a quality set of punches. You'll be surprised at the other uses you'll find for these hole punches. You'll take
a lot of pride in making your own gaskets and not have to wait on the mail for replacements. If you screw one up while making a new one, nothing lost.
Gasket material is relatively cheap. If you're skiddish about using new gasket material on your first few attempts, try experimenting on some thin cardboard from a shoe box or some such. You can pick up a trick or two from experimenting first.
There's no denying that going to a parts store or ordering a gasket from a catalog might be easier but then you'll miss all the fun.
Member: Arizona Military Vehicle Collector's Club, Treasurer.
Past Pres
Member: MVPA #26600
Member: NRA
‘43 GPW, '53 M37 W/W, ‘54 M170 Field Ambulance,
59 M43, '76 M151A2, '86 CUCV,
'43 GPW, 416 & 101 trailers.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

When I was in the Army over in Europe; we made a train load of gaskets out of manila file folders, using the component flange as a template and a small ball pein hammer to tap out a new gasket. If the flange has good sharp edges, this is the fastest way to do it, holes and all. Not the best material, but got us out of a lot of tight spots. It was also funny hearing the clerks and dispatcher's carry on about why they were always out of folders. Their white-out was just as popular too; when we went through an engine or other components, when certain adjustments were complete, that part got a dab of white-out. Then if someone else had to work on it tomorrow and finish it, they knew exactly which adjustments were complete and which were not.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
vinnytruck
SGT
SGT

Post by vinnytruck »

OK Guys, You gave me the strenght to do it. Both myself and my son made gaskets. (first time for everything) They came out really well, much to my surprise. We used materal from nappa. I also gave a lot of thought to the pump. I am going to get more advise and move on to the pump tomorrow. THANKS ALL...VT VT&1/2 says thank you also. I am trying to get him to ask a question but he is shy right now.
vinnytruck
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

VT and 1/2 should feel free to ask this forum any questions related to automotive repair. After 45+ years of restoring cars and trucks as
a hobby, I still have to ask others a lot of questions. We learn by doing, asking questions and listening. It's often been said that we don't
"learn" much when our lips are moving . But don't be afraid to ask away and then sit back and enjoy sharing the wealth of information on this forum.
Member: Arizona Military Vehicle Collector's Club, Treasurer.
Past Pres
Member: MVPA #26600
Member: NRA
‘43 GPW, '53 M37 W/W, ‘54 M170 Field Ambulance,
59 M43, '76 M151A2, '86 CUCV,
'43 GPW, 416 & 101 trailers.
vinnytruck
SGT
SGT

Post by vinnytruck »

To M37jarhead, Thanks so much for the positive words of your wisdom. VT
vinnytruck
SOTVEN
SFC
SFC

Post by SOTVEN »

vinnytruck wrote:OK Guys, You gave me the strenght to do it. Both myself and my son made gaskets. (first time for everything) They came out really well, much to my surprise. We used materal from nappa. I also gave a lot of thought to the pump. I am going to get more advise and move on to the pump tomorrow. THANKS ALL...VT VT&1/2 says thank you also. I am trying to get him to ask a question but he is shy right now.
I THINK THAT M37 JARHEAD SPOKE FOR ALL OF US HERE. "ASK, AND THEE SHALL RECEIVE" :D I HAVE FOUND IT USEFUL WHEN MAKING GASCKETS, TO PUNCH OUT BOLT HOLES USING EMPTY BULLET CASINGS. EASY AND CLEAN SHARP HOLES. I ALWAYS HAVE A FEW EMPTY CASES OF VARIOUS CALIBERS IN MY ONBOARD TOOLBOX. WARNING!!!! USE AMPLE COMMON SENSE!!! MAKE SURE THE PRIMERS ARE SPENT PRIOR TO HAMMERING THEM!!!! :!:
LIFE IS SHORT AND ENDS UNEXPECTEDLY. MAKE EVERY MOMENT WORTH REMEMBERING.
vinnytruck
SGT
SGT

Post by vinnytruck »

GREAT IDEA... stoven, thanks Vinnytruck
vinnytruck
vargaspj
PFC
PFC

Post by vargaspj »

Excellent help as usual from the forum. For the m37 I go to the parts manual to see if the gasket thickness and material type is listed, then I try to match it as best I can when I buy the gasket material if I am making my own gasket. Probably overkill but looking up the info and chasing down material as close to that originally used is part of the fun.
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

vargaspj wrote:Excellent help as usual from the forum. For the m37 I go to the parts manual to see if the gasket thickness and material type is listed, then I try to match it as best I can when I buy the gasket material if I am making my own gasket. Probably overkill but looking up the info and chasing down material as close to that originally used is part of the fun.
A special consideration with fuel pump gasket thickness for the 230 engine is this. In most cases there will certainly be some degree of wear in play on the pump actuator arm plate and the cam lobe. The thinner gasket material allows the pump body to move inward on the mounting boss toward the block which allows for a longer stroke on the pump actuator arm. As minor as this may sound, and unless wear specs are beyond hope, it will make a resounding difference in pump arm travel capability, and can make a meaningful difference in pumping action. This does not apply with the full range of other pumps that may work on this engine as arm angles are different on some of the will fit pumps, but can mean a great deal with certain circumstances if you are using the original stock AC pump.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com
vinnytruck
SGT
SGT

Post by vinnytruck »

So Charles, are you saying I should double up on the gaskets when mounting, for less wear and better fit???? VT
vinnytruck
MSeriesRebuild
1SG
1SG

Post by MSeriesRebuild »

vinnytruck wrote:So Charles, are you saying I should double up on the gaskets when mounting, for less wear and better fit???? VT
No, I'm saying the thinner, the better. You can't get less than 1.
Charles Talbert
www.mseriesrebuild.com