Installing seat covers

Discuss fixes, upgrades and modifications to your M37

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Installing seat covers

Post by powerwagontim »

Well, a couple of weeks ago, I decided to tackle the seats. I had bought a set of canvas covers from a friend who had had an M37 but had since sold it. I dont know if they were NOS or Repros, but I suspect repro. I tackled the drivers seat bottom first. About an hour later, I had the cover on, it was all baggy in places and tight in others, two grommits torn out and a small rip in the hem. With frustration level in the red, I decided it was time to call in professional help. I called a local upholsterer, who also does uotdoor and boat cushions, and she said bring it all over. I did, last week. She told me she would take the one I did off, sew the tear, repair the grommits and replace the old foam and padding I had reused.
I got a call from her today, and she wanted me to come over and work with her and her husband to try to get the covers on. She was afraid to rip them and wanted me involved. I was fine with that, and went over. She had the drivers seat bottom done, and it looked good. She had asked me beforehand about soaking the covers in water for a while first and I said sure why not. We tackled the passenger bottom first, and after a hard fight had that done and looking good.
Next was the drivers back. We fought that one and it finally tore going over the last corner. We didnt even try the passenger seat back, as it looked to be about 4 inches shorter than the springs.
Are they all this hard, or do I have a mongrel set of covers here? I sort of pictured slipping the covers over the frames, lacing them on and be done.
I will be picking up another set of covers, any preferences between Beachwood over Weebee?
Thanks,
Tim
Happiness is enjoying what you already have!
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Re: Installing seat covers

Post by m-37Bruce »

Hey Tim,
They are both good, and very behind in their work load. Sounds like a mongrel set, mine (WEE-BEE) slipped on easy-peazy, lemon squezzy.
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

Thanks Bruce,
I see John lists seat covers on Midwests website, I will give him a call tomorrow and see if he has a set sitting on the shelf.
Thanks,
Tim
hbb
SSGT
SSGT

Post by hbb »

i installed M37 seat covers for a friend and they went on, but not with out a little work about 6 hrs, finished they looked great and tight as a drum skin on top and no bags or sags on the sides. These were purchased through John at Midwest. New canvas make the truck smell soo good! and why is it that women think it stinks? :?:

hb
The wiseman who listens to his students stays a wise MAN!
Cav Trooper
SGT
SGT

Post by Cav Trooper »

Speaking of smell, is there any one out there that sells the MRT to redo canvas? When I first got my truck, the smell in the garage was great but now it seems to have faded. I would like to retreat all of it and get that new truck smell back. When I was a Boy Scout, my Dad belonged to the local Nat. Guard after he had came back from WWII. It was an Tank Company and had a large Armory. Our Scout Master was a member of the Guard and we had our meetings in the Armory. We were always surounded by the smell of MRT. As a kid, I didn't know what the smell was other than it just smelled like Army. Dad quit the Nat Guard a few years later and by that time I was out of the Scouts also. When I got of age, I enlisted in the Army, Viet Nam era. and got to pleasure of that perfume again. It's a guy thing, like Hoppe's 9 bore gleaner, they should make air freshners out of the stuff, it would sell like crazy. My wife did make a comment about the smell in the garage after the truck arrived and she also comments about the Hoppe's in the basement when I'm cleaning guns.
HHT 2nd ACR
Merrell Barracks, Nuremberg, Ger.
1967/68
71st AHC, 14th AHB, Americal Div.
Chu-Lai, S. VietNam
Cav Trooper
m37jarhead
SFC
SFC

Post by m37jarhead »

Got my covers from Beechwood. High quality, great "smell". Followed their instructions to the letter and got an
upholsterer quality look. I imagine all the canvas suppliers sell excellant quality, Wee-Bee, Beechwood and others
have been in the biz for many years and don't sell any junk. I was particulary pleased with a return/exchange issue
that I had on an electrical part that I bought from Beechwood. No hassle, quick replacement, friendly customer service
and an apology from them. Can't beat that kind of service. Like most things, you get what you pay for.
Member: Arizona Military Vehicle Collector's Club, Treasurer.
Past Pres
Member: MVPA #26600
Member: NRA
‘43 GPW, '53 M37 W/W, ‘54 M170 Field Ambulance,
59 M43, '76 M151A2, '86 CUCV,
'43 GPW, 416 & 101 trailers.
DJ
SSGT
SSGT

Post by DJ »

New Life Canvas says they have them "in stock". I got mine from Midwest Military ,and they fit excellent. I think John gets it his from New Life,so either one would be a good source .
powerwagontim
SFC
SFC

Post by powerwagontim »

I ordered a set today from John, he mentioned they were from New Life. They gotta fit better than the ones I have!
Tim
rtquig
PVT
PVT

Post by rtquig »

My covers came from Beachwood and fit very tight with no wrinkles. It was a no brainer for me as they are only 15 miles away.
rtquig
PVT
PVT

Post by rtquig »

DJ wrote:New Life Canvas says they have them "in stock". I got mine from Midwest Military ,and they fit excellent. I think John gets it his from New Life,so either one would be a good source .

Off subject for a moment. I ordered a part from John at Midwest 2 weeks ago and haven't received the part, sent an email and received no reply. Is this typical?
hbb
SSGT
SSGT

Post by hbb »

Not typical at at all! Call John instead of email. If he had to order from his supplier it will take longer for the shipment to arrive.
hb
The wiseman who listens to his students stays a wise MAN!
rtquig
PVT
PVT

Post by rtquig »

I talked to John today, very nice guy. He is taking care of it, and I will have my part soon.