End of the trail

Discuss all non M37 related issues here

Moderators: Cal_Gary, T. Highway, Monkey Man, robi

M37UK
SSGT
SSGT

Re: End of the trail

Post by M37UK »

Lifer, my friend, this is sad and shocking news.

Sometimes its hard for a "foreigner" on these US forums but I always know that I will get sarcastic, funny, informative comments from you.
When you say you are not a candidate for Chemo, is that in your State only or are there options outwith?

Would you mind letting me know the exact term of the cancer you have in case there is an option over here in the UK?

The forum wont be the same without you but I look forward to reading your comments whenever you can manage.

My thoughts are with you

Stuart
Stu

1952 Dodge M37 with 1952 M101 Trailer
MVT UK
SMVG Scotland
Lifer
1SG
1SG

Post by Lifer »

Thanks for the kind thoughts, Stu.

We don't consider you to be a "foreigner" on the forum any more than I considered myself a "foreigner" when stationed at RAF Uxbridge (on the west edge of London). I couldn't participate in local politics, of course, but otherwise I was just as much a Brit as were my neighbours. I was a volunteer ASL with the 14th Bushey & Oxhey Scout Troop, and a regular down my local. I knew the name of every pub within 10 miles of my flat and could tell you the fastest way to get there. I was on a first-name basis with our local Constable and shared a cuppa with him down the nick after Scouts every now and then. Nope! I didn't feel like a "foreigner" at all. For some reason the UK seemed like home to me the day I landed at 'Eafrow.

I don't know what the exact name of my particular cancer is. The doctor didn't say. I'm not sure he or his staff are certain, either. The reason I'm not a candidate for chemo is because any of the (USDA) approved drugs interact poorly with the medications I already have to take and wouldn't cure it, anyway. At best, chemo might extend my life by another year but I would be in constant misery.

I'm familiar with a few drugs available over the counter at the local chemist's shop. I used to get some headache tablets that would knock my sinus headaches out in a heartbeat. They had codein in them, which would be illegal here in the US without a prescription.

Well...gotta run! Supper is on the table!
"PER ARDUA AD ITER"
Master Yota
MSGT
MSGT

Post by Master Yota »

Sorry to hear the news Lifer. Its been my pleasure to read your posts, and have had a chance to share in your humour and sharp wit!

My prayers to you, and your family during this challenging time.

Ray
Ray
1953 CDN. M37
1954 CDN. M152
m-37Bruce
1SG
1SG

Post by m-37Bruce »

Say it ain't so, Charles, I am at a loss for words, your attitude is to be commended. I don't know how I would handle the same situation? I lost my younger brother on the 5th of April & I haven't recovered yet...................
Thoughts & Prayers,
Bruce,

1953 M-37 w/ow

Retired Again

Keep Em Rollin'

VMVA
Josh
SFC
SFC

Post by Josh »

Charles, I'm absolutely crushed to read of your sad news, and im typing this through blurry eyes, You'll be in my thoughts to the end and thereafter. If there is anything at all I or the M community can do, please let us know. I wish you nothing but the best, I have always enjoyed your input, and will miss it dearly. If I cannot get my wish that you recover, than I hope for a peaceful, painless transition for you.

Forever your friend- Josh
hbb
SSGT
SSGT

Post by hbb »

Lifer:
In relative terms I am fairly new to the forum,but as many before me have stated your input has been very much appreciated and enjoyed but will not be forgotten. May your God take the lead and give him a left, a left, a left right left!

Gods speed our Friend.
hb
The wiseman who listens to his students stays a wise MAN!
Monkey Man
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Monkey Man »

Our thoughts and prayers go to you & your missus, you'll always be with us and we'll meet up again one day as it comes to us all, let us know if there's anything we can do for you...

Best Regards as Always - MM and Family :(
Trained Monkey on Guard
dodgem37@netspace.net.au
Brigand
SGT
SGT

Post by Brigand »

Lifer, I am heartily sorry to hear this distressing news. We have been amusing each other for many years. I figured you would outlast me. I guess I was a bit luckier in the draw and ended up with a treatable form of cancer. It was a superb act of courage on your part to allow us all to share in this news and say our goodbyes. We don’t always get to do that with our friends. I should say however Oncologists don’t know everything, so get a second or third opinion.
Thanks again for giving all of us an opportunity to let you know how much we’ve enjoyed your comradeship, We will think of you often.
Brigand aka Bob Thompson

I would never join any club that would have me as a member.